All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-02-2010, 09:06 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
What features would you like to see in future N97 FW updates?

Yes, I know many people will say they want the phone to be more stable, smoother, have a new UI and whatnot... but I'm talking about new plausible features that would make the phone a little more fun to use. What do you have in mind?

I'll get us started... how about widescreen photographs?

Think about it... we have widescreen video recording on our N97s, so why not widescreen photography? To produce a widescreen video, the N97 simply records at it's normal quality and size and then chops off the top and bottom (and some may rightly argue there's a little digital zooming going on as well). The same technique could be used to full effect with still photos, especially those of distant landscapes.

There currently is a way to make widescreen photos directly on our phones, but it's a lengthy procedure (open photo, edit it, rotate 90, crop with wallpaper aspect ratio, rotate 270, save), so I for one would like to see it done automatically in the Camera application. It can't be hard to implement, surely...

I've attached a couple of photos to show what I mean. These are photos taken with my N97 at Cheshire Zoo that have been cropped (not resized) in Photoshop to a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22082009220.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	4758   Click image for larger version

Name:	22082009292.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	4759  

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 24-02-2010, 06:20 AM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
Multiple home screen pls?? Its been in Symbian^3 and like to have in my mini.... afterall you brought it after paying almost $500 and not having a feature that a $200 phone has is quite embarrassing..
and there is 2 thing I always find frustrating that Nokia cripple the office part of N series phone(read only doc, trial Pdf reader) and entertainment part of E series phone.. Nokia please understand that N series owner do have a JOB and E series owner like to have some life... understand your flagship device need to perform out of box.. please
Well I am asking too much..

Old 24-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_sukanta View Post
Multiple home screen pls?? Its been in Symbian^3 and like to have in my mini.... afterall you brought it after paying almost $500 and not having a feature that a $200 phone has is quite embarrassing..
That's quite a plausible request. Nokia have made changes to the homescreen once with v20 so that we could move the clock around, and they completely changed it on the 5800 on FW v40. Maybe when they improve CPU and RAM usage in future updates they could add a 2nd homescreen. I'm not sure it could handle any more than that though.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 24-02-2010, 08:43 AM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
I'm not aware that we could move clock widget.. thanks for the info.. (V11 on mini) but it looks better when the clock in on top of other widgets.. But having a option is always better thing..
And for multiple home screen.. I don't think it require much more CPU and RAM (a bit of RAM I understand) caz all the widgets are essentially a version of native web browser running background...
I am perfectly happy if Nokia restrict 2/3 homescreens rather than unlimited no on symbian^3. But I dont like to shuffle all my 20 widget and place them 1 by 1. We may need more than 2 live widget... (other 2 are application shortcut)..
No i'm day dreaming now..
a bit of off topic.. but this is 3rd day on a stretch I'm getting from single charge.. Previously I need to charge every night.. and the only change I did is I didnt fire up GPS and wifi..
2-3 hr wifi and 20-30 min GPS can take away as much as 2/3 of the total charge.... Is those chip are so power hungry???

Last edited by to_sukanta; 24-02-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Ads

Old 24-02-2010, 12:15 PM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
There currently is a way to make widescreen photos directly on our phones, but it's a lengthy procedure (open photo, edit it, rotate 90, crop with wallpaper aspect ratio, rotate 270, save), so I for one would like to see it done automatically in the Camera application. It can't be hard to implement, surely...
I'm not sure why you'd need this feature, when all cropping operations can be done on a computer. Why would you need to lose data on the phone image, when presumably it will ultimately end up on a computer anyway? Unless you want to upload these images directly to the internet?

Old 24-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessmith01 View Post
I'm not sure why you'd need this feature, when all cropping operations can be done on a computer. Why would you need to lose data on the phone image, when presumably it will ultimately end up on a computer anyway? Unless you want to upload these images directly to the internet?
That's like saying we don't need widescreen video recording, cos we can crop the videos on a computer anyway, but not everyone knows how to do this or has the facility to do so if they did. Adding such a feature for photos as well shouldn't take any more than a couple of kilobytes of code in the OS, because the ability to crop is already there.

I do tend to upload a lot of my photos to Flickr and Facebook directly with my phone. I really should've said that in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_sukanta View Post
And for multiple home screen.. I don't think it require much more CPU and RAM (a bit of RAM I understand) caz all the widgets are essentially a version of native web browser running background...
I am perfectly happy if Nokia restrict 2/3 homescreens rather than unlimited no on symbian^3.
Hmm, perhaps not. If the version of the native web browser is already running, it theoretically shouldn't take up twice as much CPU and RAM to have a second screen... unless the user adds any power hungry widgets like AccuWeather.

I agree, having 2-3 homescreens is very acceptable. One homescreen is too restrictive, and 20+ would utterly baffle most users.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 24-02-2010, 10:12 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Umm, I can think of a few things...

1) DivX Codec built into unit
2) Support for iTunes files over the mystical 12 minute ish limit (also in Nokia Music) that stops Artist, Album and Song titles being read
3) SIP Client built into firmware ala N95
4) Fix on memory leaks especially in email when opening an attachment, it just sits there somewhere on your phone
5) More integration to social networking websites like Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Youtube etc that aren't so, erm, deeply hidden in the system or just simplistic little widgets that open something else.
6) Flash Player in Web Browser - let me play Farmville on my phone

Old 24-02-2010, 11:21 PM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
What I would like is :
1) better management of the RAM. When the phone starts up; contacts, log, clock, messaging are opened in the back ground. These cannot be closed by the user in the normal way. I use Taskman to do it. However if any of these are used again, they remain open in the back ground. As I use more applications, the available RAM some what decreases when i am done with all the applications.
2) The option to install as many of the applications to the mass drive. I have the license version of Adobe Reader and Quickoffice 6.2. Both these can only be installed in C. This takes almost 6MB of C.

Last edited by ajeet; 24-02-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Old 25-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Again, I must iterate... plausible new features, not bug fixes! Although I'll take the opportunity to say now that all the bug fixes I've seen mentioned so far certainly have merit!
  • DivX Codec built into unit - That's probably never gonna happen any time soon.
  • SIP Client built into firmware ala N95 - Wasn't it included in v20 (albeit, hidden away)? *Checks* Ahh, it's only for video calls, not normal calls. Good point, sjdean!
  • Fix on memory leaks especially in email when opening an attachment - A bug fix, but still something we'd like to see.
  • More integration to social networking websites like Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Youtube etc - I know you said you'd like to see this without having to use 3rd party widgets, but since they've already been made (and continually updated) I don't see this happening with the N97. Hey, I've been wrong before though. For all I know, we might see Facebook/Twitter/YouTube suddenly appear in our homescreen content list in a future update. Support for Flickr is already included in Share Online, which can be added to the homescreen, but I assume you didn't mean this when you said Flickr support?
  • Flash Player in Web Browser - I have a sneaking suspicion Nokia will stick with Flash Lite for the forseeable future, especially with the lack of RAM available. It's possible Adobe might bring out a new version of Flash Lite that has much better compatibility with standard Flash games/websites, which then may make it's way onto our N97s.
  • Better management of the RAM - A bug fix. We'd all like to see this, and I'm sure Nokia will try to improve upon it in subsequent updates.
  • The option to install as many of the applications to the mass drive - Yes, I'd like to see this too, although I'd imagine most of the time it'd be down to the developers of the software to add this support... although Nokia themselves are amongst the list of developers guilty of this crime! Just imagine how much space we'd save if we could install Nokia Messaging, N-Gage, Ovi Maps and Ovi Contacts onto the Mass Memory instead of Phone Memory!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Last edited by zxon; 25-02-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Old 25-02-2010, 08:01 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Language Independence

.. the ability to load whatever language sets you like - with font support to match.

thats all ..

Old 25-02-2010, 01:20 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Well you see zxon, with better memory management, some of the other things might be better and would improve the enjoyment of the phone.

I'd quite like to see Nokia sort our a proper RSS Widget which allows you to add multiple RSS feeds ala Google Desktop. Perhaps double, treble, quadruple height widgets (so you can can get more than 2 lines on a widget) with multiple home screens.

Old 25-02-2010, 04:38 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Kind of off topic, but in reply to people who want twitter/Facebook stuff have a look at the Communities app in Nokia Beta Labs

Old 26-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Rooki is on a distinguished road
Home Media (Ready DLNA) ...

Old 26-02-2010, 09:16 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Fold out 'Swiss Army Knife plus handy bottle opener' ?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 26-02-2010, 10:49 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
how about a decent 'conversations' view built into messaging, SE and Apple are way ahead on this one