All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-02-2010, 05:51 PM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
is the N97 worth getting?

im thinking off getting one but... is it really buggy? how is it buggy? what makes it buggy?

im thinking of buying a new one on tmbile but using my virgin sim in it. i dont want to waste my money tho..

does it keep crashing? whats opera mini/mobile or skyfire like on it?

can software updates be done over the air, as in on the fone itself and not have to be pluged in to a pc?

Old 26-02-2010, 07:45 PM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
May be.. may be not... yes its hangs a bit if you try several program at onces... or if you never switch off your phone... but dont that all be a problem with all the smartphone??? OVI map is great.. but so does the Google map (and MapmyIndia in my courtry... I use that a lot because it has a superiour POI database).. There wasn't any groundbraking innovation... it does what it supposed to do..So does the other phones...it has all the functionilhy you might expect from a $500 phone... and so does the other phone in this category..
At the end of the day it's you who will decide what you want... if you want a functional phone which does its job... choose it... if you need something more flashy.. dongt bother..

Old 26-02-2010, 08:27 PM

jmurch is on a distinguished road
n97

I love my mini and I'm glad I didn't get the usual ATT/US smartphone. Because I just recently got it and it is a mini and not a full sized n97 I think I was lucky enough to bypass alot of problems you hear about.

I've seen it best price in the US SIM free from Dell for $399 and read somewhere you can get them from Dell for $375.

About the only bug that I've come accross so far is that Skype is not well behaved unless you install it to the C drive.

Also try SkyFire browser. I like it better than the Nokia browser or Opera.

Jeff

Old 27-02-2010, 05:16 PM

bsimpson is on a distinguished road
YES! It is an excellent phone. Buy it.

Barrie

Old 27-02-2010, 07:50 PM

i have, and a bargain at that i think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...T#ht_895wt_958

cant wait to collect it

Old 27-02-2010, 11:58 PM

bsimpson is on a distinguished road
You will not regret that buy if you follow the advice you will find on these forums.

N 1 - get the latest software (if your phone is branded, de brand it)
N 2 - get the latest ovi maps (see thread on the forum)
N 3 - do not listen to the moaning ars****es who are still complaining about the N97 on these (and other) forums.
N 4 - if your GPS does not work properly, take it to an official Nokia Service Center and get the back plate replaced.
N 5 - enjoy having in your hands the greatest bit of kit available as we speak!

Cheers,

Barrie

Old 28-02-2010, 04:13 AM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
I'd like to disagree with point number 1.
De-brand if you want, but I think it should be a carefully considered option, and seeing as most operators I know of have released at least v20 there should really be no need now.
You said in point 4 about the warranty GPS fix - if he's de-branded then that can quite likely be refused, along with any other warranty issues, I just had to send mine off for 2 weeks cos the screen died so I would strongly recommend leaving product code.
I could understand it when the phone was released with awful firmware and it took months for operators to get v20 out, but like I said that shouldn't be a problem now.

My main bit of advice would be read up on managing the C drive, it's one of the things that can make a big difference. Basically I'd delete all applications that come preinstalled then set Ovi Store to install to E, after that download whatever you like and stick it all on mass memory. Clear browser cache regularly if you're using the built in one, and reset data regularly if you're using Nokia Messaging for your email.

Old 28-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. All i know is its tmobile locked and im wanting to use my virgin sim in it. How do i set it e drive? U got any links? Not long now shud have it in a few days

Old 28-02-2010, 09:12 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bang bang boom View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. All i know is its tmobile locked and im wanting to use my virgin sim in it. How do i set it e drive? U got any links? Not long now shud have it in a few days
Your first problem will be getting your phone unlocked from T-Mobile (debranding does not unlock your phone).

There are a lot of companies who "claim" they can unlock an N97 but can't. Usually you can get the operator to give you the unlock code (sometimes for a payment of about 20) but you are not the original T-Mobile owner.

Try using Search on this forum for recommendations on unlocking an N97.

You may wish to debrand your phone after unlocking, to get rid of the T-Mobile crudware on it. See here:-

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

When you say, "set to E: drive" I presume you mean saving texts, app's, etc; there. This is fairly straightforward by using the handsets settings. See here:-

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...81C20F1C0140AA

Hope this helps.

Old 28-02-2010, 10:03 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I'd go along with most of the advice, if you are going for an N97. If it's locked, then the first thing to do is to get it unlocked. From experience with my N95 which was locked to Orange, I had to pay them 20quid for an unlock code, but then it was fine. I then proceeded to debrand it - so there are two different functions you will need to carry out.

In response to your first question, I don't think it's *that* buggy with the latest FW ( currently on v21 ) so upgrade to that as soon as you can.

Thirdly - please have a good read of this forum, as you will find several different anecdotes from N97 owners - both positive and negative. I won't tell you my opinion , as I think you should - and probably will - decide for yourself.

Lastly - if you do get one, please feel free to revisit and tell us of your experiences!

Good Luck.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 28-02-2010, 10:21 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i have, and a bargain at that i think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...T#ht_895wt_958

cant wait to collect it
Quick tip...

When you receive your handset, do the following:-

1. Using the onscreen kepad, type in *#0000# this will give you the software version, software version date, custom version, language set and RM type.

2. Look at the white label underneath the battery and make a note of the product code (this is 7 digits long and starts with 05***** on the N97)

This information is useful when posting as it tells us if the phone is real, not a Chinese clone, what language packs might be on it and if any of the hardware is disabled/omitted (RM-506 has no wifi).

Old 28-02-2010, 12:06 PM

virgin sims work in tmboile fones so no need for unloking. can this fone be updated via the fone instead of laptop? one thing i cudnt do with my N95 8GB. im hoping to get it tomorrow... its from an actual shop so cant see there being anything wrong with it, if there is its got a warranty...

Old 28-02-2010, 12:17 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
virgin sims work in tmboile fones so no need for unloking. can this fone be updated via the fone instead of laptop? one thing i cudnt do with my N95 8GB. im hoping to get it tomorrow... its from an actual shop so cant see there being anything wrong with it, if there is its got a warranty...
Yes, OTA (Over The Air) updates and are available for the N97 and it doesn't require formatting your phone either. However, we have always advised to back up your data first before updating (either with the PC or the built-in backup option under File Manager). Also, it's often the case that updates are made available through Ovi Suite or Nokia Software Updater on a PC before they're available OTA.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
id be more worried that it isnt a contract phone that is going to get reported lost :-)

a very common scam with mobile phones and ebay

the seller ends up with your money and a new insurance phone and you end up with a phone that cant make calls and is blacklisted and trying to get your money back

hope the phone turns out to be a good one and you dont have to mess about getting it fixed etc or one that gets repoted lost
Ads

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
id be more worried that it isnt a contract phone that is going to get reported lost :-)

a very common scam with mobile phones and ebay

the seller ends up with your money and a new insurance phone and you end up with a phone that cant make calls and is blacklisted and trying to get your money back

hope the phone turns out to be a good one and you dont have to mess about getting it fixed etc or one that gets repoted lost
Good point... however, consider the following...

1. If the new owner finds the phone later blocked after being reported lost/stolen, then reports this 'fraud' to the police, the original owner may be traced and prosecuted.

2. If the new owner paid via PayPal AND used a Credit Card for funds, he/she can ask PayPal and/or his C/Card supplier to refund the money paid. I think this has to be within the first 12 months though.