Old 07-06-2004, 01:18 AM

sjbu is on a distinguished road
6600 Email Setup

Hi, ive done a few searches through the forums:

"6600 Email setup"
"6600 Email"
"Email"
"Trouble Email"

Cant seem to find anything specific to 6600. Just wanting to know if people can get their email to work on 6600. Im from australia and have various access points set up for mms , gprs and can use opera and agile messenger. However none of these seems to be able to get the email to work. I have both incoming and outgoing settings set up for it as well as the correct username and password and everything. I used to get a time out message but now i am receiving the following message:

"Internet: Server not Found"

Has anyone else had a similar problem setting up their email and if so how did you fix it??

Ive spoken to customer service of both my Service provider for internet and mobile phone, and also called nokia customer care. The guy from nokia just advised me to get the latest firmware but im not sure that this will fix the problem. What do you guys think?? Does the mail box name matter?

Please note that going onto gprs and using optus mobile mail (an external site where you can set up your email) works fine for me, but i want to be able to receive email directly into the mailbox of the phone.

Help!?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:29 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbu
Hi, ive done a few searches through the forums:

"6600 Email setup"
"6600 Email"
"Email"
"Trouble Email"

Cant seem to find anything specific to 6600. Just wanting to know if people can get their email to work on 6600. Im from australia and have various access points set up for mms , gprs and can use opera and agile messenger. However none of these seems to be able to get the email to work. I have both incoming and outgoing settings set up for it as well as the correct username and password and everything. I used to get a time out message but now i am receiving the following message:

"Internet: Server not Found"

Has anyone else had a similar problem setting up their email and if so how did you fix it??

Ive spoken to customer service of both my Service provider for internet and mobile phone, and also called nokia customer care. The guy from nokia just advised me to get the latest firmware but im not sure that this will fix the problem. What do you guys think?? Does the mail box name matter?

Please note that going onto gprs and using optus mobile mail (an external site where you can set up your email) works fine for me, but i want to be able to receive email directly into the mailbox of the phone.

Help!?
It doesn't matter for me, I've changed it a few times to test and it still works. I'm sure you checked your isp's settings for mail and you have their incoming right so if you've tried everything and this is important, then it's work going to 4.09.1 because it does have better mail capabilities. You couild also make sure that you have set security and tls off. I sounds like your dns isn't working though...

Old 07-06-2004, 01:33 AM

How do you change the dns server setting on the phone because thats the only setting i cant find

Old 07-06-2004, 01:40 AM

Quote:
How do you change the dns server setting on the phone because thats the only setting i cant find
when you are in an access point from phone>menu>tools>settings>connections>access points you punch the left navikey and select advanced. It brings up primary and secondary name servers etc..

Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 AM

I got the dns setting from my isps web site, and what do you know it works. You are a legend, thank you so much, i owe you one!!!!

Old 07-06-2004, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I got the dns setting from my isps web site, and what do you know it works. You are a legend, thank you so much, i owe you one!!!!
Sweet! Let me know if everything else still works. I may have to try for a speed boost here.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT
Sweet! Let me know if everything else still works. I may have to try for a speed boost here.
I can receive all my emails now but i cant send any, it displays message sending failed, only problem is i have the outgoing emails set up properly so i dont know why its doing it.

Sigh, well one problem at a time eh?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I can receive all my emails now but i cant send any, it displays message sending failed, only problem is i have the outgoing emails set up properly so i dont know why its doing it.

Sigh, well one problem at a time eh?
I don't know if your isp requires authentication or dedicated outgoing servers to let you send messages. It seems to vary (even from what the isp says). Try using your mobile phone's default outgoing servers and see if that works. Also you can mess w/ the password. It's a little difficult since you have the older firmware so I don't know what features you can have. Did you turn the security settings off?
Ads

Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 AM

yeh security settings are all turned off. Im just trying turning them on now see how that goes, fingers crossed it makes a difference, ill keep playing around with it, eventually ill probably have to update firmware anyway and then ill have to go through all this again lol!

Oh well thanks for trying

Old 07-06-2004, 09:53 AM

Quote:
yeh security settings are all turned off. Im just trying turning them on now see how that goes, fingers crossed it makes a difference, ill keep playing around with it, eventually ill probably have to update firmware anyway and then ill have to go through all this again lol!

Oh well thanks for trying
You could try some kind of mail forwarding system for your inbox and get an outbox you know works. Also it might be worth seeing if you can create another mailbox and specify for receiving / sending. Unfortunately I don't know what your firmware does. I'm not even sure upgrading would fix it. If you're having to manually plug the DNS for mail, but your other GPRS connections get the square box around them (IP assigned etc) and you can browse w/ wap then it sounds like something to do w/ your providers system. Can you register your email account on your mobile providers site?

Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 AM

Damn i had this long elaborate reply written and then when i clicked submit the site went down. Oh well

Basically your more intelligent than any of the tech support people ive spoken to from both my isp and mobile provider. Ill try to ring the isp and see what they say but theyll probably just tell me to ring mobile provider and the mobile provider will tell me to ring my isp.

Firmware update might do the trick i read something about improved services for sending email over pop3, which is what im using.

Just have to wait and see. Thanks for your help

Old 08-06-2004, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Damn i had this long elaborate reply written and then when i clicked submit the site went down. Oh well

Basically your more intelligent than any of the tech support people ive spoken to from both my isp and mobile provider. Ill try to ring the isp and see what they say but theyll probably just tell me to ring mobile provider and the mobile provider will tell me to ring my isp.

Firmware update might do the trick i read something about improved services for sending email over pop3, which is what im using.

Just have to wait and see. Thanks for your help
Yeah I did a big post and it killed it too...oh well guess I gotta remember to always copy before submitting. lol @ me being more intelligent than tech support I think a lot of the nok and provider guys aren't industrious enough..and I've spent enough time talking to nok complaints to know.

Anyways..

Idea: plug in your mailservers as numberic IP addresses instead of the names. You may need to then revert the dns to auto or not, but it seems like that's one part of the problem. it's worth a shot.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:14 AM

so you think i should make 2 access points, one with the name for incoming mail and one with the name for outgoing???, sorry im a bit thick today

Dont worry tech support people just rely to heavily on their computer in front of them. They dont spend enough time actually researching the different phones.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:43 AM

Quote:
so you think i should make 2 access points, one with the name for incoming mail and one with the name for outgoing???, sorry im a bit thick today

Dont worry tech support people just rely to heavily on their computer in front of them. They dont spend enough time actually researching the different phones.
yeah you should read my last post in the messenger section about our techs. I'd try plugging in the IP addresses of the mail servers first.

So let's say you have

mail.mytmobile.com and you had to replace that with mail.earthlink.net and you got some result.

Then what you want to do is plug in the ip address of mail.earthlink.net

here's a handy link : http://www.hcidata.co.uk/host2ip.htm

so instead of mail.earthlink.net, you would plug in 207.217.121.215 it's worth a shot.

Otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

What's can and can't you do now?

Old 10-06-2004, 02:31 AM

Ok what i can do atm is check and receive emails, i can type an email to send but i press send it waits a while and says message sending failed, check network settings. Or something like that. Im just leaving it for now, busy working so dont have much time to experiment