All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 PM

bobert_anderson is on a distinguished road
For the most part, I live off of the stock applications that come from the phone and I don't use it very much with other applications, except 4.

SMS Export from S60.com, YBrowser, cCAM, and Screenshot are a must for me.

I work in retail and conduct most of my business through SMS or email. At the end of the day, I need to turn in all SMS and emails to be filed away on the computer. Email is simple, but I use SMS Export for all my texts.

Does anyone know for sure, or can you Rafe, do me the favor of checking if these four applications are working perfectly on the 5800?

If they are, I'm getting one the same day i get my answer.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 AM
gdigenis

hi, i just picked one up locally and so far i really like it. i was very surprised when it could not open my excel spreadsheets that every other nseries device could. any idea why this s60 device cannot open excel sheets? also, any ideas for freeware that would allow me to view excel? i even tried to install the quickoffice 5 upgrade that i purchased for my e71 to see what would happen and it would not even install

Old 15-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Unregistered

calendar snooze?

Hi Rafe,

Best review I have found on the entire web...and I have searched long and hard! I use the calendar WAY TO MUCH. I set reminders for everything, personal and work.

Question is, when a reminder pops up/goes off, can I snooze it for a specific amount of time, or is it stuck with the 10 minutes only snooze?

Thanks!

Old 15-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Harscelle

Smile

Hi Rafe,
I liked your review very much and am almost certainly going to buy this phone but could you please clarify a doubt that i have. How does the graphic capabilities of 5800 compare to the iphone? In games for example, is the absence of accelerated graphics apparent?

Thank you

Old 19-12-2008, 03:51 AM

Scurzuzu is on a distinguished road
Here are some apps that work on it and some that don't

I've had the 5800 for about 30 hours now and have tried installing some S60 v3 apps to it just to see what takes, and I thought I'd answer some of the questions other readers have been asking in the comments. Here's what I've found so far:

Works
  • Profimail - I tried the latest version and it not only runs well, but there are UI features that have shown up that you don't see on S60 v3 phones. Apparently LonelyCat was thinking ahead on this one--nice job!
  • Screenshot - but the only key that exists for triggering the function is the camera key, which means you launch the camera each time you take a screenshot.
  • Kaywa Q-Code reader - I used the built-in Q-code reader a lot on my N-Series phones, but the 5800 doesn't have one. The Kaywa one seems to work, though.
  • Mobile Weather
  • Y Browser
  • SMS Export

HARDWARE: Wireless Keyboard SU-8W works after I installed Wireless Keyboard application for Nokia Series 60 3.1 edition (the one released Aug 2008 for the N82)

Installs But Doesn't Run
  • Mobbler
  • Conversation
  • Shozu? (I'm still not sure on this one--I may have had connectivity issues. Will probably re-attempt.)
  • ChronoTimer and Stopwatch

Both the timer apps illustrate a problem I've seen on several Java apps I've installed -- the virtual dpad that appears on-screen has failed to work properly on every single Java app I've tried. It never seems to be mapped correctly to the functions. I'm assuming this will differ on a case-by-case basis.

Won't Install At All
  • Active Notes
  • Ultimate Voice Recorder
  • cCam (cCam_S60_3rd_v103.sis)

And yes, there's basic video editing:
  • adding text to beginning or end of a clip
  • replacing audio track with another audio file on your phone (I tested it with an AAC+ file, but I assume MP3 would also work)
  • cutting
  • "merging" (didn't test this one)

Finally, yes the alarm snooze timer can be set from 1 to 60 minutes, although I'm not sure if you can set individual snooze instances on the fly -- what I'm referring to is a master setting I found under the Alarm app.

Finally, nobody asked but I want to tell you all that the handwriting recognition actually works pretty well. I was blase about having a stylus, but it's sort of fun to "write" out my text messages instead of tapping them. Not really that much faster, though, but pretty accurate. Bonus: I can set up shortcuts using the handwriting recognition, so for example when I draw a little diagonal rectangle now, my full email address pops into the field. Nice!

Old 25-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Lili.Lang

Locking

Phone looks great. My question is, does it come with locking for particular applications? For instance, I'd like to keep my recent calls locked and my messages locked, but other areas unlocked. Is this possible with the phone?
Ads

Old 27-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Unregistered

Have one, love it, but wating for apps

What sold me is the fact that it is s60. What I specifically have always loved about Nokia (7650, 6680, N81, now 5800), is the abundance of apps to make up for anything that s60 may be missing. Frustrating thing now is waiting for apps. BTW I installed the Epocware tool set but they do not display well (e.g. double vision at the top of the screen for the shell - I love shareware). MY carrier in Spain offered me the Iphone free or the 5800 for 100 euros. I have an 80GB Ipod (I hate the Itunes dictatorship) so I much preferred spending 100 euros to stay with Nokia.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Apps

Anyone able to say if MobiPocket and Flying Money Manager work?

Old 14-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

strong!!

if i drop it will it break?

Old 14-02-2009, 06:58 PM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
A very informative review. The 5800 is a great phone but the N97 is just around the corner and that's the only thing stopping me from getting this beauty. But I just wonder if an even better version will come out a few months later?

Old 15-03-2009, 05:39 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurzuzu View Post
I've had the 5800 for about 30 hours now and have tried installing some S60 v3 apps to it just to see what takes, and I thought I'd answer some of the questions other readers have been asking in the comments. Here's what I've found so far:

HARDWARE: Wireless Keyboard SU-8W works after I installed Wireless Keyboard application for Nokia Series 60 3.1 edition (the one released Aug 2008 for the N82)

I found the BT app for the N96 worked better and was more stable at initial connection.

Old 18-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Superb review.

Question: How do I download apps to the phone? I'd like a step by step process pls. I'm not very technologically savvy.

Old 24-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Unregistered

what a dumb-ass question...
you'll know the answer to it by answering this:

If I kill you, will you die?

dumb ass.

Old 24-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what a dumb-ass question...
you'll know the answer to it by answering this:

If I kill you, will you die?

dumb ass.

Old 31-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

great (p)review i have few questions if anyone can answer them

1. Is the speaker problem which came in intitial sets still there?
2. Anyone installed Garmin XP Mobile on this set? does it works?
3. I don't like the keypad of my N-79 and i love the keypad of my 2630 because of the big keys, do you think i would be able to get used to T9 of 5800?