All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 28-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Mobipocket Reader faces unlikely future - and will leave a vacuum

There's a nice piece by Chris Meadows here talking about the future for Mobipocket and its previously ubiquitous ebook reader software, now that Amazon have not only bought Mobipocket but are competing against it vigorously with its own Kindle hardware and software. In fact, it's looking increasingly as if Amazon bought Mobipocket simply to put paid to a competitor. Yet there's nothing else decent to fill the vacuum on S60 and Symbian. Read on for some thoughts and links.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
How many people actually use ebooks though? Lots talk about it but how many people have read a novel on their pocket devices? How many have read more than five novels?

I've never seen anyone in public staring at their phones for long periods of time, so I can't have seen anyone reading an ebook.

The much hyped eInk-equipped Kindle apparently has sold less than one million units since it launched. That's pretty much the same rate of sales as the original gen N-Gage.

Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon) seems not to read that many physical books, or at least doesn't remember them if he does:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/43/bezos.html

Quote:
What are your three favorite books?

My favorite novel is The Remains of the Day. My favorite business book is Built to Last. Let's see ... three books.

Well, my favorite movie is Dr. Strangelove. I'm a huge Peter Sellers fan. And I think Mike Myers is the new Peter Sellers. I think he's fantastic.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:01 AM

traskilajussi is on a distinguished road
There is Bookworm (bookworm.oreilly.com). It's a web service and it renders nicely the books and articles I have there on my N96. I do hope some aspiring developer come out with a standalone (epub) reader for S60 & S40.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Mobipocket format not standard

I have read many novels (>100) on my pocket devices, (Psions, Palms and lately SE UIQ3 phones). Mobipocket is currently my most used ebook software but the 'prc' file format is not a standard format for all readers.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

Same here. Have read many novels, magazines etc over the years on various Symbian devices (currently N95). Find it perfect for commuting on the London Underground.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:27 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
I have read many ebooks on a variety of devices including Psion, Palm, Pocket PC, N95, and now iPhone using the fabulous Stanza software.

I have hope that the developers of Stanza might release an S60 5th version if the N97 really takes off sells in big numbers. Unfortunately its more likely that this will be one of an increasing number of categories of software where Apple's more "computing platform" focussed approach will attract the lion's share of the development community.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:41 AM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
It might be true that many users don't read ebooks on their mobile phones.

I'm one of them who does but I never read while on the go as the screen is a bit too small for my taste (and humpy roads when sitting on the bus).
That said most of my ebooks are in the pdf or chm format and I therefore often use the pdf reader more than mobipocket.

However I've found many great books in the prc format which Mobipocket takes and many of them are of great enjoyment value.

Old 28-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

Tiquellacat book reader

Tiquellcat book reader's last version was released in january 2009. It supports S60 5th Edition.
http://tequilacat.org/dev/br/index-en.html

Old 28-04-2009, 10:12 AM

pintofale is on a distinguished road
Repligo

My favourite ebook reader was Cerience's Repligo for Palm, which rendered HTML and PDF splendidly. Unfortunately Cerience has gone Blackberry-only and ditched the Symbian version they told me they were working on. Is there some global conspiracy to shut down ebook readers? Surely we don't have to buy those ghastly Apple things?

Old 28-04-2009, 11:02 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Surely that's an app that's crying out to be implemented in Java. It doesn't need access to a smartphone's cleverer functionality, and doing it in Java would open it up to the two billion midp-capable phones around the world.

Old 28-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
I read on my E90 all the time. I normally carry about 5 to 10 ebooks on my memory card. Same thing with .pdf files. It's a pleasure to read on the E90 because of its' large screen. It would be sad to see Mobipocket diasappear.

The beauty of ebooks on my phone is that I can quickly read a few pages and paragraphs whenever I have a few minutes to spare without having to carry a physical book. I can read, stop and then pick up where I left off without much hassle.

I do four things on my E90 most: voice, sms/email, browsing and ebook reading.

Last edited by Arthur; 28-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Ads

Old 28-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Looked at another way, surely an ebook reader isn't difficult to program? All it does is display a text file, bookmark where you were, search for particular strings, show how many pages are left etc.

I'm amazed Nokia's done an official audiobook app and podcast app but no ebook app... wouldn't ebooks be the easiest starting point?

Old 28-04-2009, 01:01 PM

deebr is on a distinguished road
I first used mobipocket on a Series 5, and it has been with me on EPOC, Windows Mobile and Symbian for years. I've read dozens of novels, mostly from Project Gutenberg, since then. I'd be very sorry to see mobipocket disappear.

Being the eternal optimist, though, perhaps amazon are going to use it as the basis for a Symbian version of Kindle?

Old 28-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
I did receive this email recently from ereader (Fictionwise, B&N, etc.)...

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry, right now we do not support this phone.

We are working on a version of our eReader reading software for this platform (Symbian OS 9.4 + S60 platform 5th Edition), however, we do not have an exact release date at this time.

Best Regards,

Ted
eReader.com Support Team
However, I probably should point out that I received this on April 1st.

Old 28-04-2009, 01:37 PM

pintofale is on a distinguished road
@Tzer2

Tzer2, you're right, I think the reader is simple and I'm sure I could knock up one in Python easily enough, already done a text editor so I would just have to add something to remember the last position and the un-packing algoritm. I think the hard part is the PC-side converter - Mobipocket's was ok but mashed up PDFs. Repligo was great, and it worked a treat on Palm and S60 2nd. I might have a go at something - perhaps use a zipped plain text format for a start.