All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Files goes free

A nice bit of detective work by Devin has revealed that Files on Ovi (now just Ovi Files), always the least sexy of the Ovi services, has changed from a commercial into a free service. Possibly driven by poor take up, Nokia has simply made it free for all and is quoted as saying that existing unused subscription periods will be refunded. Interesting. I'd like to see them make pedestrian navigation free for all next in Ovi Maps - now that would put the cat among the (ahem) apples and blackberries...

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-07-2009, 11:37 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Don't forget - FULL Remote PC Access included too!

1 - Working fine here on Windows 7 64 Bit.

2 - Is indeed now free.

3 - Is NOT unlimited up and downloads, according to the info I am getting - it is 10GB limited.

HOWEVER (on a good note):

One thing many of us are forgetting, that is WELL worth mentioning.

Aside from REMOTE File backup/sync of chosen folders, for when you are away from your PC and your machine is switched off, possibly the BEST feature of Ovi Files, is the "Ovi Files CONNECTOR".

With this, and your PC left running, you have access to ALL your files folders, images, documents, and applications, on your whole PC, from your mobile phone.

Much like the "Orb" service some other people ascribe to.

Now how EXCELLENT is that!

Especially as there is a dedicated phone client for Ovi Files, available in the "Download" application.

This is quality - not only have I now got SERVER based access to those files I have set as an "Anytime Folder" for when my PC is switched off, I also have COMPLETE access to EVERY SINGLE item on my PC, remotely, as long as my PC is left on, with Ovi Connector obviously running.

AMAZING.

Old 18-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

cool

Old 18-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

Now this is innovation! TQ Nokia:-)

Old 18-07-2009, 04:00 PM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
A Linux connector would be nice.

Old 20-07-2009, 04:36 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
This is so so cool. Since it was paid earlier, I never gave a thought about it. But i tried it for the first time when some one twittered about it being free and since then, I am absolutely hooked on.

Yes, the EDGE only India hampers my speed of working in downloading files to my N79, but it still rocks. So apart from, Handy Taskman, Joikuspot Premium, Ovi files widget becomes the first thing I will install on my cell nowonwards.

Wish, it had a native symbian app rather than the internet widget. Still, it rocks.
Ads

Old 20-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Shadamehr, for passing on that information. I didn't realise the feature you described was part of the Files on Ovi system. Think I'll give it a go!