All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia E55 video review

In this All About Symbian hands-on video review of the Nokia E55, embedded at standard resolution below, Rafe spends 9 minutes giving you a detailed visual tour of the device's software and hardware. Included are comparisons with the E51, the E75 and the E71, plus (of course) the E52, - choosing the E55 is all about choosing the form factor, it seems! Full text review to come (from me) very shortly.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-08-2009, 11:03 PM

joeyfallon is on a distinguished road
Nice shootin' Rafe.

Is it just me or was the screen on the new E55 and E52 models flickering ?

The E75 and E51 didn't seem to show this effect.

Anyways, very informative.

Old 17-08-2009, 11:32 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
WOW. That's vintage AAS stuff right there - must be the most information packed video review I've ever watched! E55 seems like a very impressive piece of tech indeed. Well done, Nokia.
Ads

Old 18-08-2009, 12:54 AM

machimshin is on a distinguished road
Thank You Rafe, it was pleasure to watch. I would like to experience learning to type on its keyboard, but as former E71/E90 user I will surely go for E72, due its better specs.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Wow

EXCELLENT video! Thank you sir!

Old 18-08-2009, 02:26 AM

smellati is on a distinguished road
I think its absolutely ridiculous that this mid to low level E series phone get panorama mode, but my n97 doesn't. Hello, this is a e series device! Why isn't my flagship N series device getting this feature??? Thanks for confusing the heck out of your customers nokia. Granted, this is a newer phone, but only by a few months. If there should be a phone out there that deserves this feature, its the n97. Very very stupid move nokia; very stupid indeed.

Old 18-08-2009, 03:09 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Smellati, are there any S60v5 phones out with that feature yet?

Old 18-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Excellent video, looks like a very good device, although I'm more interested in the more traditional sister device, E52.

Old 18-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Unregistered

Smile say and play

Hi, i'm an avid ASS reader from the philippines, thanks for the review, btw, i just want to ask if there's also a say n' play feature on the e52?

Old 18-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellati View Post
I think its absolutely ridiculous that this mid to low level E series phone get panorama mode, but my n97 doesn't. Hello, this is a e series device! Why isn't my flagship N series device getting this feature??? Thanks for confusing the heck out of your customers nokia. Granted, this is a newer phone, but only by a few months. If there should be a phone out there that deserves this feature, its the n97. Very very stupid move nokia; very stupid indeed.
I mentioned this in a recent podcast, but at least some of this is to do with lead time on firmware. Nor does it necessairly make sense in a linear time (devices are developed at different rates and may be artificially delayed from market entry. You'll see a similar thing with Nokia Maps (e.g. I think the 5630 got Maps 2.x) and also with Ovi Contacts... the same also applies to things like Nokia Messaging. As it happens the Eseries devices have had a particularly good time of it this time round and have everything (except podcasting for some weird reason).

Incidentally panorama mode will likely be added to the N97 in a firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazutoyo View Post
Excellent video, looks like a very good device, although I'm more interested in the more traditional sister device, E52.
We should have some coverage of the E52 shortly. However it is a very similar device. Let us know if there's anything specific you would like us / me to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, i'm an avid ASS reader from the philippines, thanks for the review, btw, i just want to ask if there's also a say n' play feature on the e52?
Yes it is.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:08 AM

xxnoelziexx is on a distinguished road
I have had my two devices for just over 2 weeks. Used the e55 for the first week due to the learning curve. I had a E71 and E90 before this so I much prefere full qwerty devices. It took me just under a day to be banging out emails and texts just a bit slower than a full qwerty device. The error correct was much quicker as i went along.

Took the E52 for my second week, I felt at home straight away learning curve was about 10 minutes lol. Text/Emails with predictive text has come along way. You can use this phone one handed with pure ease something that is a lot harder on the E55 although it is possible doesn't feel very comfortable and I have big hands.

Both devices are very similar but i have made my choice and it is the E52 all the way. Everyone I have shown both phones to side by side have all grabbed the E52 and not the E55. So the scare factors does come into play. Everyone is different and some will love the e55 half qwerty and some will hate it. It is personal choice.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

Qvga = fail

Old 18-08-2009, 01:36 PM

darren.mac is on a distinguished road
Absolutely superb review.. love it!
Cant wait to get my hands on the E52.

Regards,
Darren.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:55 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
@ Unregistered

Quote:
Qvga = fail
It was funny once, but it is extremely unfunny after the 15th time, so why not give it a rest and go and find a website more in tune with your intellect? I believe Tellytubbies.com is very good for those with a limited vocabulary...

Old 18-08-2009, 03:45 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Panoramic

Both the E55 and E52 are very appealing to me. Regarding the panoramic mode...ironically, my little 6120 Classic has this feature, and this phone came out two years ago!