All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Google Maps 4.0 for Symbian includes Google Buzz

Following the announcement earlier this evening of Google Buzz, the extension of GMail into social networking, Google Maps 4.0 has been released, advertised with the feature: "Post and view real-time messages & photos at places around the world". Buzz is implemented as another Layer in Google Maps' existing system. For the system to work, you'll have to sign up first for the Google Buzz system, it seems. More later, but some screenshots below to keep you going.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Download site

For me it was not available from m.google.com but it was from www.google.com/gmm

Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
There's no need of an invite, AFAICS. If you have a Gmail account, you can activate Buzz by just accepting the EULA, which you will be prompted to do the first time you post a buzz or reply to someone else's buzz.

Edit: I'll elaborate
Step 1: download and install Google Maps 4.0.0.
Step 2: in Options->Levels, check Buzz.
Step 3a: on S60v5 (I haven't tried it on a S60v3 phone), an icon of a talk bubble will appear on the right bottom corner. Tap on this to post a buzz.
Step 3b: on the map, some tiny talk bubbles will also appear. Tapping on any of these will expand the bubble to display the buzz post. Tapping again will open a window with the buzz and all its replies, and will allow you to add a reply.
Step 4: there's no step 4.

Last edited by rvirga; 09-02-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM

j d is on a distinguished road
fix the favourites

can somebody please tell me if they fixed the "stars" so they save in the phone's favourites again?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I say it again ..

until google maps has offline support its a non-starter for me.

I'm very happy with Ovi-maps .. except when I visit Japan .. come on Navteq!

Cheers

Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Unregistered

Was surprised to find no satellite view option in the menu, then after a little digging found it in the layers menu
Ads

Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 AM
fucc74

eheh google buzz will be a very interesting advertising service! italians: http://bit.ly/bHUX3F

Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Any idea how to make a private buzz from GMM?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:41 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Navigation?

I wish this were an announcement for Google Navigation for Symbian! Does anyone know if this is in the works?

Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
anybody worried about privacy? i see tons of buzzes around my town with people showing their exact address/location! surely it should have defaulted to private, with the option to post public, rather than default public. i cant seem to find a way to make private anyway.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
You can just select the nearest 'proper' location to your home rather than the exact address if you like. It's one of the choices when you buzz.

Oh dear, I'm using it like a verb etc! And I'm not a honey bee....

Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
There are apparently three forms to buzz from a mobile phone: (1) via Google Maps, (2) from an icon in the google.com web search page, and (3) via buzz.google.com. The Google Maps is the worse of the three, since it won't let you set your buzz as private, nor exclude geotagging. Using method (2), you can exclude geotagging but still only post public buzzes, while (3) is the most flexible offering both to omit geolocation info and to post private buzzes. Unfortunately (2) and (3) are currently only accessible to Android and iPhone users.
Overall, I'm underwhelmed. It looks basically like a Twitter clone, and the few new features it introduces are useless when not pernicious.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
thank you, that makes so much more sense. i thought i was just not seeing something that everyone else was seeing. so things just arent online yet except for the google maps app function.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Working for me

Well, I downloaded Google Maps 4 this morning, enabled the Buzz layer, and buzzed by clicking on the buzz icon later in the day.

This evening, prompted by Steve's tweet that it's now been enabled in Gmail, I closed my Gmail window and opened a new one, and there was my buzz (along with Steve's, plus a list of automatic people to follow and a list of other suggestions). Also, Gmail asks whether you want to connect to Twitter, Flickr, etc.

Let's see how it goes ;-).

Julie

Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
It seems there is indeed a very real flaw (or two) in the Symbian 3rd Ed. version of this at least, if not the 5th Ed too.

As indicated earlier - it's a Privacy issue.

As I ran a test - I MANUALLY used Google Maps/Latitude to change my location to a point about a mile from where I actually am.

I then added a "buzz".

And it instantly placed the Buzz at my ACTUAL location, not the location I had manually set as my current position.

This is not good at all, if Google want to keep the privacy groups happy.

As for another flaw, once I post a Buzz, if I then switch to Latitude mode again by pressing the 6 key, I can find no way or option of then viewing Buzzes near me. I can add a NEW Buzz again. But I can't see buzzes near to me, or find an option to re-list/display them...?

Certainly though, the privacy issue is a BIG one - even if you MANUALLY alter your position in Latitude, any Buzz posted seems to use your REAL location, no matter what!

Oh er!