All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 112 - WordPress, Ovi Store update and Nokia Bots

In All About Symbian Insight 112 Ewan returns with a band and, together with Steve and Rafe, brings you up to date with developments in the Symbian world. We start with news of the WordPress Symbian client, the beta release of Nokia Bots and the recent upgrades to Nokia's Ovi Store. In the second half of the podcast there are hardware thoughts on the Sony Ericsson Vivaz (Steve) and Nokia 5230 (Ewan). You can listen to AAS Insight 112 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Been really enjoying testing out the Wordpress client for a while now, butonly recently learned that it will not be possible to optimize it to enable mass memory installation. This will come as a blow to many N97 owners out there for sure. I have, for now, restored to only using my N97 with Gravity and Wordpress, simply because the poor spec won't allow much else, with the last Ovi Maps too.

Looking forward to the N97 successor

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Unregistered

Ovi Store

It may not be quite right about the reach of apps in Ovi Store. For example, in China where I am at the moment, I am very annoyed by the fact that most of the useful apps seen by the Western World are missing in the Chinese version of Ovi Store. After checking quite thoroughly the store, there are less than 10 useful "Western" apps. The rest are just local contents and they are just rubbish apps anyway. I can imagine this will be the case in other countries as well. I think the content is very much dictated by the Government and local carriers' inference. Even trying to get around the problem by using vpn and seeing all the useful apps in UK Ovi store, the stupid Ovi store rules only allow mobile handset direct download the apps. In which case I cannot use the PC, via the VPN, to download the apps first and transfer to my handset.

I know you have been trying to be positive with Ovi store's operations but the progress is too slow and users are losing interests.

dkwok

Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Think it would be interesting for Steve to do one of his (in)famous spreadsheets comparing the Ovi Store against the Android Marketplace and Apple App Store. 1.5 million downloads a day sounds impressive in isolation... But when takes 12 months+ for a Facebook client to be 'released', not so great...

Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Matty P

The Ovi store is completely broken for me since the upgrade. I get to a terms of service page which I need to confirm. Clicking "I agree" returns a message "This operation could not be completed due to an error" - not exactly helpful. And that's it, can't go any further. It's been like this since the upgrade client was released. Looking around on the ovi blog, it seems there are quite a few people with this issue. Not very good testing by Nokia at all.

Can anyone at AAS look in to this or offer any comments if they've seen the same behaviour?

Other than that, it looks like the Ovi store is moving in the right direction, just need to sort the search out now.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM

walmark is on a distinguished road
I also had this problem, followed by the fact that I could no longer login to the online store or ovi mail with my password.

I ended up resetting the password, after which everything worked. The new password allowed for the handset to also go through the "I agree" and start working. For some reason login information was lost for some users with the update (I also believe that ovi store is garbage in the form it is now). You can't agree to terms because your phone cannot connect to your account.
Ads