All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-06-2010, 10:50 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Happy Birthday N97

The N97 is now one year old (aww, bless it). I think we should bake it a cake.

How're we all feeling about it? Is the N97 the phone you expected it to be one year after release?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 19-06-2010, 11:26 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
The N97 is now one year old (aww, bless it). I think we should bake it a cake.

How're we all feeling about it? Is the N97 the phone you expected it to be one year after release?
welp .. I still have one .. despite access to an iPhone 3gs etc .. I use it as my work phone .. Honestly I've had very few problems with mine. It could have been faster the dpad on the keyboard to me is still a fail.
My main phone is a Satio with SPB Mobile shell .. that would be pretty nice for the N97 .. but its a little short on RAM.

/me waits for N8

Old 20-06-2010, 04:58 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
i thought i read it as "let's bake it in a cake" lol

Old 20-06-2010, 08:22 AM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
wow my son was born yesterday

Old 20-06-2010, 12:31 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bang bang boom View Post
wow my son was born yesterday
Do you mean literally yesterday (19th June 2010)?

As for my N97, it has had its bacon saved a few times in the past year... not by Nokia every time I might add.

Whilst I've not suffered any hardware problems, I truly feel that if firmware's v20 and v21 had not been released then this phone would have bitten the dust 9 months ago.

Firmware's v10, v11 and v12 were a joke!

Free iSMS was a big bonus for me and a "must have" on my N97.

The release of Ovi Maps v3.04 and the subsequent free navigation also went to buy more time for my N97.

Finally, the recent release of SPB Mobile Shell, v3.5.5, has improved the handsets usability no end and kept my interest in the N97 going as it offers the sort of user experience that I originally expected from the phone.

Old 20-06-2010, 12:46 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Oooh errr, bought my N97 exactly a year ago today, in a phone shop downtown Riyadh, complete with arabic and english keyboard. Sold it on April 27th. Ten months of ownership.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 20-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Do you mean literally yesterday (19th June 2010)?

As for my N97, it has had its bacon saved a few times in the past year... not by Nokia every time I might add.

Whilst I've not suffered any hardware problems, I truly feel that if firmware's v20 and v21 had not been released then this phone would have bitten the dust 9 months ago.

The release of Ovi Maps v3.04 and the subsequent free navigation also went to buy more time for my N97.

Finally, the recent release of SPB Mobile Shell, v3.5.5, has improved the handsets usability no end and kept my interest in the N97 going as it offers the sort of user experience that I originally expected from the phone.
yea at 05.34am

Old 20-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang bang boom View Post
yea at 05.34am
Congratulations to you bang bang boom... and Mrs bang bang boom of course. Not forgetting Mini Me bbb.

Now get off of this forum and start changing diapers!

Old 20-06-2010, 10:30 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I agree that the firmware updates have made (patient) people stick with the phone a little longer by making it a bit faster, adding kinetic scrolling, and fixing some bugs (Do you remember the days of the screen-locking bug??). I wonder what v30 will bring us?

I also definitely agree that third parties have made the phone better too. Now whether this is seen as a bad thing or not is anyone's guess: Because these improvements were made by third parties it means that other S60 5th edition phones have reaped the benefit too, not just the N97. Free iSMS, Ovi Maps, and SPB Mobile Shell all work on a 5800XM, for example. On a good point, it means that more phones can benefit from these excellent additions. On the downside, they could very well make the N97 a little less unique, if these must-have apps work just as well on a phone that costs half as much.

We can't forget Opera's efforts, of course! I still use the built-in Web app fairly often but if I want no-nonsense browsing, Opera Mobile is my browser of choice. As we all know, the only downside is the lack of Flash support (which I would turn to the built-in Web app for, if needs be) but who knows... maybe they will introduce it in the future...

To wrap up, the N97 really isn't the phone I expected it to be a year after release. That isn't to say it's worse; it's just as good as I expected to be, but somehow in different ways. I won't be changing it anytime soon, that's for sure. In fact, I hope the N97 will become my longest used phone ever to date... it has another 14 months before it beats my 6600.

However, the release of the N97 has certainly taught me a valuable lesson: Don't believe the hype!

Nokia really pushed the N97 for months before it's release, and I remember the day exactly a year ago when I waited anxiously for my brand spanking new iPhone-killing mobile telecommunications device to arrive! I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this... It sadly wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, due to lens scratching problems, poor GPS, and bug-filled software. However (this is where everyone will disagree), I still felt (and feel) it's a terrific piece of kit, and my patience has paid off with thanks to support from Nokia and various third parties.

I feel I was lucky with the N97. It's probably not a good thing to feel lucky about a flagship device. In fact, you shouldn't feel lucky that it works at all. You would just expect it to work. The experiences that I've had with the N97 have taught me to be a little more patient when it comes to gadgets. Let's take the upcoming N8 for example. At first, it sounds fantastic! 12MP camera, OLED capacitive display, HDTV-out, 720p video recording, Symbian^3 OS... the list goes on, everything (besides the built-in storage) trumping the N97. However, the un-swappable battery and lack of physical keyboard would really put me off. Also, who's to say it won't flop like the N97 did, despite all the improvements? It'll be the first Symbian^3 powered device... what if it's riddled with bugs? It's the first open-source Symbian OS... will this actually result in more and better apps being made for it? The built-in battery... will it suffer the same problems as iPhone owers have experienced? Only time will tell on this.

That's why from now on if I'm going to get a new piece of kit, I'm going to wait up to 6 months after release to see how it performs. I'll get an idea about what bugs it has, what hardware problems ail it, what kind of support it gets, and how firmware improves it, amongst other things. Now, I hope that my next phone will be a Symbian^4 powered device. The last I heard, those would start coming out in the first half of 2011, which means I wouldn't consider replacing my N97 until mid-late 2011, because I'd like to see how S^4 does. I know waiting a few months means I'll probably end up buying a device that's already "out-of-date" by the standards at the time, but I would be safe in the knowledge that it performs well and will be supported for years to come. That, I believe now, is more important than having the latest gadget.

Bloody hell, I'm only 27 and already I sound like an old man with eons of experience lol

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 21-06-2010, 04:44 AM

A very well written and objective posting zxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Bloody hell, I'm only 27 and already I sound like an old man with eons of experience lol
With reference to the above, can I just draw your attention to angiepea's signature...

"Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
"

Oh, so, very true!

Old 21-06-2010, 02:21 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What exactly is 'Free isms'?

dog-man

Old 21-06-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Congratulations to you bang bang boom... and Mrs bang bang boom of course. Not forgetting Mini Me bbb.

Now get off of this forum and start changing diapers!
lol thanks

Old 21-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post

dog-man
If you text at all dog man then this is, IMHO, a must have app.

More details, reviews, links, here:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ight=free+isms

Old 21-06-2010, 11:45 PM

foxe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post

dog-man
Jesus...

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=free+isms

Old 24-06-2010, 12:23 PM

keys is on a distinguished road
N97 - now possibly the best bargain there is

After its dubious first year the N97 sells for 140.00 on Ebay - unlocked and still within warranty.

Surely that represents stunning value to someone upgrading from say an E71 - which itself would sell for 99.00...

For me that 40 got me a real nice camera, faster wifi, larger 'touch' screen, huge storage, richer louder better audio, a working mfe experience and so on..

Its the Lancia Thema of phones (without the rust).