All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The Nokia 5630 - The Perfect Phone For The Recession

The recently announced Nokia 5630 might be a cut price S60 model, but by packing in a huge feature list for regular users at an affordable price for them (and the networks), it's a perfect smartphone for the recession, no matter what power users may think of it.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Good thought... and this is not the only phone on these lines.. The e63 can also be termed as a recession business phone...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Indeed

I agree. It has got all the jazz at the right price to appeal to the majority.

It can become one of Nokia's money spinners.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
malerocks - indeed - I think Nokia is going to do very well with its lower cost phones this year - E63, 5800, 5630.. maybe include the 6220... and I imagine there's more to come.

The economies of scale / platform advantages of S60 really start to come into play with these phones and is difficult to see a lot of competition for them. I think there main issue will be competing against feature phones which may be perceived as being easier to use.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

No GPS seems like a bit omission -- that's starting to be like a safety feature for non technical users, e.g. with lattitude, nokia maps, etc.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Unregistered

Wait a minute, aren't AllAboutSymbian the same people who said the N85 and N79 would be highly successful?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Nokia 5630 music

I have a 5310 xpress music which in my view sounds better or as good as the ipods I have listened to, at least when it's playing 192 kps .aac files. Does the new "600mhz" processor mean that there is no longer a dedicated sound chip? Or is it integrated into the ARM chip itself?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Unregistered

They've got no competitor, period! Can any1 name any other brand with these features at these pricepoints? Unless these other makers start offering somethg as powerful and dirt cheap as this, don't even dream about about overtaking Nokia's position at No. 1.
Ads

Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Unregistered 4.51pm: yes, AAS said that and they were right. Both N79 and N85 are selling well. Does not mean that 5630 would not sell well too!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Contract length

Over here in Ireland people are dropping out of contract in their droves. The operators are really competing in the PAYG area; on the contract side the "no handset, rolling month "plans are becoming very common.

Most of the networks have now gone to 18 month upgrade cycles, although only O2 have an 18 month contract.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:32 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
@unregistered

""Wait a minute, aren't AllAboutSymbian the same people who said the N85 and N79 would be highly successful? ""

Wow, your memory is great. Yes, and so? They DID SELL very well and still are selling. What do you mean by highly successful in a highly fragmented market? Ban all other phones' sales and tell people, "see guys, you either buy N85 or N79 or get shot?"