All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-08-2009, 07:04 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
wailing wall thread - who wishes they'd never bought an N97

I know I bl**dy well do. Sick of Nokia. Sick of lenses. Sick of GPS.

Pah!

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 17-08-2009, 07:11 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Wish I'd waited to be honest. I'm sure a better lens cover will come, just like improvements to the speed/stability/etc.

I will keep my N97 (as I'll lose too much money selling and am past the point of no return) but it's the last Nokia I am going to beta test for them.

Old 17-08-2009, 07:16 PM

eccleshill is on a distinguished road
OH! WOE IS ME!!

Wish I'd never got the N97 either. Sick & tired of all the little things - too many to mention - as well as the big things (like not being able to get a signal - it's a phone ffs!).

Never again. As celios said: "I'll lose too much money selling and am past the point of no return". So I have to accept it.

OH! WOE, WOE AND THRICE WOE!!!
Ads

Old 17-08-2009, 07:44 PM

I'd like to think that somebody, somewhere, in the dark recesses of nokia is listening. But somehow I doubt it...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 17-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
I'm happy with mine. This new firmware has sorted out a few things, smoother andmore responsive. Never had any lens issues, but when I heard about it I put some film over my lens just in case.

Worried that Dave is going to go nuts one day and fly to Finland with an M16 in his suitcase, like disgruntled Americans like to do.

I like my N97, not worth 500 that's for sure though. Will probably go for an Iphone next time round though.

Old 17-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Ahem... [points at self] ... brit thanks :P

I am a little vocal at the moment aren't I...

D

Old 17-08-2009, 08:42 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Im kind of bored with mine.

GPS Don't work, Sports Tracker is still missing two months later, there's not IN BUILT SIP (why can't people understand that?), I can't backup settings to mass memory, can't switch messaging from Mass Memory to Phone Memory without losing all mails, Nokia Music is a load of crud and won't read all my iTunes files over 10 minutes long or something ridiculous, the phone is so featureless it's ridiculous. I expected it to be better than my N95. Aside from the fact it is touch screen, has 32 Gig and a keyboard, it's soooo incredibly backwards.

I buy something with the expectation of getting something better. I don't really feel I got that.

If I had the choice again, I think I would probably have gone for the HTC Hero or Magic off contract. That just

Old 17-08-2009, 08:45 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I wish I hadn't bought an N97.

If I didn't, it'd mean that I wouldn't be one of the few people with a working N97 and I wouldn't have to keep seeing threads like this one all the time.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 17-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I wish I hadn't bought an N97.

If I didn't, it'd mean that I wouldn't be one of the few people with a working N97 and I wouldn't have to keep seeing threads like this one all the time.

This is no thread for satisfied users, dagnammit!

Old 17-08-2009, 09:39 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Wished I'd never....well....not exactly.

Having a Nokia 9300 since 2006, I had literally "lusted" after an E90 and was supremely disappointed that a NAM version wasn't going to be available.

I had considered spending the US$1000 to get a EURO version and just living with Edge service.

BUT....I was glad that I had procrastinated when there was the major manufacturing defect about the key/screen interference which scratched up the display.

Then I finally saw a review about the E90 which a user in Ireland (Eire) had written. He was a heavy 9300 user who used an E90 for a month and decided that performance-wise the 9300 was an order of magnitude better.

So here I was with a 3-year old 9300 and the N97 is announced. I pre-ordered in February and waited...and waited...and waited.

And then we find out that there are BUGS upon BUGS and there's no ready software that works ANYWHERE NEAR as good as the 9300 could (email, office, ereaders, databases, basic interpretter, OPL compiler, etc.)

Granted, my camera is pretty good (I only had a 2.3 MP Olympus before) and not hardly scratched and I've had a bit of fun with the GPS, but gee whiz....you'd think for US$700 the N97 would work better, dance a jig and everything!

Old 17-08-2009, 09:41 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
This is no thread for satisfied users, dagnammit!
Dave, hows your camera lens mate? Been at least ten mins since we got an update.....

Old 17-08-2009, 10:09 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Dave: sorry mate.. I hate to say - this whole board is becoming your wailing medium.. I feel sorry about what has happened to you but every time I see new threads, it looks like you are talking the same thing whether its to do with one thing or sobbering over Nokia's lack of effort to help you. Just remember that not everyone has the camera issue nor the GPS problems.

You all need to either move on (3GS or i8910 or alternative) or just keep waiting for Nokia to fix their issues. It may sound heartless, but there should be other things of mention for the phone rather than just bitching about the same thing again, again and again..

The only gripe I have with this device is all within the software / firmware. Just hanging in there until it is resolved. The lack of software is extremely fustriating when theres so many good titles coming out on the iphone.. usually for half the price.

Old 17-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Dave: sorry mate.. I hate to say - this whole board is becoming your wailing medium..
lol. fair comment. getting a bit bored with it myself. hence the wailng wall.

if you're looking for something more positive, check out my freeware collection. or calendar widget. or something. I'm not entirely negative, but I am on a one man mission to try and shame nokia into a response

sorry if I've bored anybody along the way...

Old 18-08-2009, 03:53 AM

Sam_man is on a distinguished road
wish i waited a bit more till october ish, TBH if this bloody GPS starts working as it should im very happy with mine, dont have the lens scratchs yet but been very carefull with it, then again why should i be?

had my N95 8GB for more than a year, droped it few times, didnt nurse it too but had no scratches on the lens and GPS worked flawlessly.

Old 18-08-2009, 07:49 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Dave: sorry mate.. I hate to say - this whole board is becoming your wailing medium.. I feel sorry about what has happened to you but every time I see new threads
Don't read them mate, or bother making even more pointless comments.

I haven't noticed you developing your own widgets or websites with lists of N97 freeware on... must have missed that. IMO Dave's contribution to the N97 section of this board is far more valuable than yours (or mine) at this point in time.