All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-11-2005, 05:32 PM

mark4130 is on a distinguished road
N70 on Orange

Does anybody have the N70 on Orange yet? If so, can you let me know whether it has the same Orange homescreen problems that the 3230 suffered from?
Can you remove the Orange homescreen?
Thank, Mark

Old 02-11-2005, 11:43 PM

steve_perry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4130
Does anybody have the N70 on Orange yet? If so, can you let me know whether it has the same Orange homescreen problems that the 3230 suffered from?
Can you remove the Orange homescreen?
Thank, Mark
I got mine today. The Orange Homescreen is installed on the N70. As far as I know you cannot remove the Orange Homescreen software unless you get the phone re-flashed with generic N70 firmware. However, you can change the background image to a different one of your choice... In gallery, select an image and under options is the choice to "set as wallpaper".

You can also change 3 of the menu choices to whatever you wish in that left hand side toolbar in the icon above the bottom most icon.

S.
7650: Sep02
N70: Nov05
N80: Aug06
N82 Black: May08
X6 Black/Red: Dec09
Samsung Galaxy S II: May11

Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM

CJackel492 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_perry
I got mine today. The Orange Homescreen is installed on the N70. As far as I know you cannot remove the Orange Homescreen software unless you get the phone re-flashed with generic N70 firmware. However, you can change the background image to a different one of your choice... In gallery, select an image and under options is the choice to "set as wallpaper".

You can also change 3 of the menu choices to whatever you wish in that left hand side toolbar in the icon above the bottom most icon.

S.
I've read on another forum that if you have Version 1.9 of the Orange Home Page installed then there is a setting to switch it off, otherwise there is a program someone has created that turns it off after it starts,

Check the 14th post on this forum,
http://www.forummobiles.com/index.ph...50&hl=hskiller

Carl,

Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackel492
I've read on another forum that if you have Version 1.9 of the Orange Home Page installed then there is a setting to switch it off, otherwise there is a program someone has created that turns it off after it starts,

Check the 14th post on this forum,
http://www.forummobiles.com/index.ph...50&hl=hskiller

Carl,
I give up I downloaded HSKiller and installed it on the phone but it makes absolutely no difference to the Orange Homescreen at all. I can see the app is running if I look for active programs using the menu key. Am I missing something? I'll do a bit of Googling for more info otherwise it'll be coming off.

S.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
I hope this problem gets solved a bit smartish - I also notice that the left right up and down keys dont do create text message / calendar etc, and there is not the options in the menu either to configure them (in the updated firmware on the 7610, left did text message etc etc). My god Orange dont half muck things up dont they. Why cant they leave things alone!!! AAHHH

Old 05-11-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_perry
... I'll do a bit of Googling for more info otherwise it'll be coming off...
I took HSKiller off as it seemed to be ineffective. However, I have noticed that if you select a theme, select the default background image for that theme and then activate the phone lock the Orange Homescreen totally disappears. So now I have a cool looking XP aqua type theme with a Bliss type wallpaper and I'm happy. As soon as you unlock the phone by typing in the security code the Orange Homescreen comes back but then I only look at it for a second before going into the main menu. TBH I don't mind the Orange screen that much as it's cool to see my msgs and 3 email accounts simultaneously at a glance.

However, it would be nice to have a choice to switch off or on the Homescreen as per the active standby screen or any other app and this is where Orange have made a huge mistake imho Can you imagine a car manufacturer, like Ford/Vauxhall hardwiring a stereo into a vehicle so that no upgrade or other stereo can be fitted? "You use what we tell you to use and nothing else" Lunacy.

Hmm I wonder if you can hack/change the 'Phone Locked' graphic to something different? I remember reading about this when the 7650 was released, did anything ever get developed?

S.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 PM

eblaster101 is on a distinguished road
i can remove the branding on your phone if required visit my website has all details, cause your on forum it will be £10 including return delivery i have someone to vouch for me on this forum as they sent me their 6630 for debranding and i have many refs on other forums if you want to see

Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
I took my Orange N70 back, they did a reverse upgrade, got my PAC code, and I now have a Vodafone N70. Its *much* better (and faster imo) with the Nokia firmware, and the new nokia standby screen is very nice indeed (and you can switch it off if you want and configure the navigation short cuts too!).
Ads