All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Go green to win a 5630 with Nokia

Nokia are pushing their green ambitions again, and this time are looking to the public for ideas that can help the environment and be used in the mobile world. Come up with the best mobile eco idea, and you could win an example of eco-mobile in the form of a Nokia 5630 XpressMusic device.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 17-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Forget "green ambitions" Nokia, concentrate on making good phones and software!
Would not take this junk 5630 phone for free... Where are the new Symbian^3 phones to replace N97 (which was already underpowered back in 2008 when announced) ?

Old 17-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Forget "green ambitions" Nokia, concentrate on making good phones and software!
Would not take this junk 5630 phone for free... Where are the new Symbian^3 phones to replace N97 (which was already underpowered back in 2008 when announced) ?
That's strange, for those who cannot afford the ridiculously high priced, and over priced, phones from Apple and Android-powered phones, I would say that Nokia phones are immensely good phones and the software on them is immensely good. In fact that is an understatement. I'm a mobile industry analyst and developer, and I know of nothing that is even close to being competitive with Nokia's offerings in the mid range and low end smartphone tier.

Stop for a minute and think. Not everyone can afford the absurd prices for the inferior technology of iPhone and Android. And inferior technology it is. A better user experience for sure, but that is only a temporary situation. iPhone OS 4.0 is mediocre at best - giving people things that Symbian users have enjoyed for YEARS, and even then iPhone versions don't match up (multitasking on iPhone!? - Hah!). Android is an increasingly fragmented mess that is going nowhere fast and it's app store is a disaster that makes no money for developers.

Tell me, do you criticise Ford, Honda, Renault and the rest because their cars are not as well built and as luxurious as Bentleys, as Aston Martins, as Ferraris? And if not why not? And that is not even a good comparison as the 'engine' - the guts - of iPhones and Androids are what you would expect at the low end, while Symbian has the guts, the engine, of the high end - internally it as premium and well engineered a product as you can get. It is just the UI that needs a little polish, and that is happening.

And as for the green side of things, well this is to be encouraged. From a selfish point of view it means you will get phones with say longer battery life or some other advantage. From an unselfish point of view, it helps the planet, and more to the point potentially directly and indirectly helps those poorer people in the world who often bear the brunt of rich-world pollution and abuse of natural resources.

And as for high end phones from Nokia, chill out. They're coming. Soon. And they will blow everything iPhone and Android out of the water...

Old 17-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That's strange, .................................. water...
Maybe mediocore mid-range is interesting from analyst point of view, but form high-end user point of view it is constant waiting for Nokia to catch up with competition. So far this hasn't happen - interface is terrible, multitasking causing out of memory and slowdowns, hardware is underpowered, Ovi store is a major work in progress (you cannot even do the most basic thing - update your purchased software), Symbian^3 is a myth (and still just a temporary passage to ^4), development is mess (qt etc.) and high end phones nowhere to be found.

Old 17-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Maybe mediocore mid-range is interesting from analyst point of view, but form high-end user point of view it is constant waiting for Nokia to catch up with competition. So far this hasn't happen - interface is terrible, multitasking causing out of memory and slowdowns, hardware is underpowered, Ovi store is a major work in progress (you cannot even do the most basic thing - update your purchased software), Symbian^3 is a myth (and still just a temporary passage to ^4), development is mess (qt etc.) and high end phones nowhere to be found.
So you want your precise definition of a high end phone, fine. While Nokia's current high end phones are good enough for many, it is clear that many would also like something that *appears* to be more in line with top end iPhones and Androids. (I emphasize 'appears' because aside from the UI, iPhones and Androids are actually inferior in both hardware and software to Symbian phones). Well, you'll just have to wait then. Or buy an iPhone or Android if you can't wait. End of story.

What'll be a shame is all the Nokia owners that jump ship, get iPhones or Androids, and then regret the decision when the next high end Nokias come out. Ovi Store, although not in the same league yet as iPhone's app store, is still very good, and a mile better than Android store.

Old 17-04-2010, 03:13 PM
VoReason

To call the Android phones inferior to Symbian ones is absolutely idiotic. Have you gone mad? I think you need to visit a mental hospital. So the N97's hardware is superior to the Milestone's? The Desire's? The EVO 4G?

Absolute madness.

Old 17-04-2010, 03:19 PM
VoReason

Quote:
That's strange, for those who cannot afford the ridiculously high priced, and over priced, phones from Apple and Android-powered phones, I would say that Nokia phones are immensely good phones and the software on them is immensely good. In fact that is an understatement. I'm a mobile industry analyst and developer, and I know of nothing that is even close to being competitive with Nokia's offerings in the mid range and low end smartphone tier.

Stop for a minute and think. Not everyone can afford the absurd prices for the inferior technology of iPhone and Android. And inferior technology it is. A better user experience for sure, but that is only a temporary situation. iPhone OS 4.0 is mediocre at best - giving people things that Symbian users have enjoyed for YEARS, and even then iPhone versions don't match up (multitasking on iPhone!? - Hah!). Android is an increasingly fragmented mess that is going nowhere fast and it's app store is a disaster that makes no money for developers.

Tell me, do you criticise Ford, Honda, Renault and the rest because their cars are not as well built and as luxurious as Bentleys, as Aston Martins, as Ferraris? And if not why not? And that is not even a good comparison as the 'engine' - the guts - of iPhones and Androids are what you would expect at the low end, while Symbian has the guts, the engine, of the high end - internally it as premium and well engineered a product as you can get. It is just the UI that needs a little polish, and that is happening.

And as for the green side of things, well this is to be encouraged. From a selfish point of view it means you will get phones with say longer battery life or some other advantage. From an unselfish point of view, it helps the planet, and more to the point potentially directly and indirectly helps those poorer people in the world who often bear the brunt of rich-world pollution and abuse of natural resources.

And as for high end phones from Nokia, chill out. They're coming. Soon. And they will blow everything iPhone and Android out of the water...
Hmmm... you'd think someone who claims to be a mobile industry analyst would have some sort of grasp on reality, as well as the English language...

Perhaps the above 'analyst' is self-employed.

Old 17-04-2010, 04:01 PM
JFH

@VoReason

I agree with the fact that calling symbian hardware superior to android hardware does not make a lot of sense. But, he does mention a couple of good points. Symbian is a fantastic OS, and the UI is being worked on. Nokia is expertly able to create high end devices, and will certainly do so. I am guessing they are trying to prevent N97 like scenarios and wont release until near perfect.

Judging someone based on his or her grasp of the english language is absurd. I would like to see how well you do on a russian, brazilian or chinese blog. Be happy the rest of the world speaks or tries to speak your language. You would have a much harder time if they would not.

Old 17-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFH View Post
Symbian is a fantastic OS, and the UI is being worked on.
Which version are you referring to? What exactly is "fantastic" about it?

From my point of view it has tons of stupid unnecessary messages (Warning: active diverts, Charging, Charger unplugged etc.), very dated and slow interface, many inconsistencies, cumbersome configuration (no centralised settings, confusing menus with different layout on each phone), unnecessary fragmentation for FP1, FP2, N devices and E devices with different bundled software and features, different themes, icons and look on each phone etc.

I seriously prefer >10 years old Epoc used on Psion Series 5 devices...

Old 17-04-2010, 10:14 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
LOL.. pretty much all the things you list are part of the UI, not the rock solid core of the Symbian OS

Old 18-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
LOL.. pretty much all the things you list are part of the UI, not the rock solid core of the Symbian OS
With that logic everything you see or hear is UI and you never see or experience "the rock solid", mythical core of Symbian UI is responsible for 100% of user experience.

Slowdowns when multitasking are definitely part of the core (especially coupled with slow processor and low memory). The same with fragmentation to FP1, FP2 etc (even Nokia programs require specific version of Symbian). Same with phone lockups and resets, which happens quite often.

PS. Another example of horribly designed UI: When connecting headphones you get the message: "Select accessory: Headphones, Lineout, TV-Out cable, Music stand". And then very helpful message "use phone microphone". I suppose Nokia thinks their users are ignorant idiots... Maybe this is why they have switched to low end smartphones and do not even try to compete with Nexus One, Desire etc.

Old 18-04-2010, 10:17 AM
JFH

Symbian is the most stable and feature rich OS out there. It handles hardware constraints better than any other OS out there.

All the things you mentioned indeed are UI. Just because you dont see the OS itself does not make it mythical. It is not like we are throwing around words like magical, are we.

Old 18-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFH View Post
Symbian is the most stable and feature rich OS out there. It handles hardware constraints better than any other OS out there.

All the things you mentioned indeed are UI. Just because you dont see the OS itself does not make it mythical. It is not like we are throwing around words like magical, are we.
It definitely has a lot of work handling hardware constraints on Nokia phones

Im pretty sure the OS is there and unfortunately there is nothing special or magical about it. Unlike earlier versions, Symbian^1 is very unstable - hard locks, resets, need to reset manually because bluetooth or GPS get stuck, sudden out of memory errors etc. Several times my Nokia has frozen during call ring - constant ringing and vibration, the only solution was to remove the battery. This has NEVER happened on my old N82, E60, E90 or any other phone.

It may be the most stable for you, it is not for me. I consider Symbian greatness mythical - some people talk about it but nobody has seen it since N95