All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Web Link Nokia E series advanced call features (WLAN voip)

Hi there

I've read alot about the E series VOIP capabilities and WLAN call things and viewed the demo on Nokia.com about it. I've also searched the forums for SIP and voip but did not find a definitive answer..

can someone please in simple words explain how the end user can make Voip calls with an ordinary WiFi connection (such as one at home).. how exactly does this work... what is an internet call.... is it free.... lets make this thread just about the call features in the E series devices.. i would really appreciate someone explaining this to us..

also, what exactly is VPN?

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 02-07-2006, 04:48 PM

bodstrup is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I can explain the VPN part:
A Virtual Private Network is in reality an encrypted "tunnel" between your PC/phone and another device on the Internet, typically a firewall, router or dedicated VPN concentrator. when you enable a VPN connection, all traffic between you and the remote partner is sent across the public net, but encrypted and validated so noone else can read it or change it without detection.

Typical use is home workplace,to company connections.

Regards, Michael.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The SIP functionality on the current Eseries is really only inteneded for corporate use.

SIP is the protocol over which many VoIP calls take place. It is a protocol that allows you to connect to a server which then route your call over the Internet and then (if applicable) out into the phone network. In that sense the only real difference is part of the routing takes place over the Internet.

The phone expects the SIP server (essentially the bit the phone connect to over WiFi to make the VoIP call) to be on the same network as the WiFi network it is using. For almost all home users this will not be the case. While theoretically the phone will work with any SIP service (e.g. sipphone.com) the above limitation limits this [it may work, I've had it work with the Gizmo Project, but not reliably]. Nokia have said that this limitation will be removed in future versions / phones. There's a more technical explanation available on the Nokia support site for the E60 I belive,

SIP and VoIP on mobiles in in it's infancy and I've only heard a decent VoIP call in a Nokia demo. The ones I've made tend to be poor quality (but note this is a limitation of what I can test on, rather that it being bad in itself).

SIP calls are generally not free, but they are lower cost than standard land line calls (typically). SIP to SIP calls are also typically free.

You can make SIP calls with your PC (with a microphone). This is the same as Skype (N.B. Skype is not a SIP service, it will not work on the phone with the SIP software).

In order for you to make SIP calls you need both SIP support in the phone (standardised in S60 3rd Edition I think) and a SIP client (Eseries only).

Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
The SIP functionality on the current Eseries is really only inteneded for corporate use.

SIP is the protocol over which many VoIP calls take place. It is a protocol that allows you to connect to a server which then route your call over the Internet and then (if applicable) out into the phone network. In that sense the only real difference is part of the routing takes place over the Internet.

The phone expects the SIP server (essentially the bit the phone connect to over WiFi to make the VoIP call) to be on the same network as the WiFi network it is using. For almost all home users this will not be the case. While theoretically the phone will work with any SIP service (e.g. sipphone.com) the above limitation limits this [it may work, I've had it work with the Gizmo Project, but not reliably]. Nokia have said that this limitation will be removed in future versions / phones. There's a more technical explanation available on the Nokia support site for the E60 I belive,

SIP and VoIP on mobiles in in it's infancy and I've only heard a decent VoIP call in a Nokia demo. The ones I've made tend to be poor quality (but note this is a limitation of what I can test on, rather that it being bad in itself).

SIP calls are generally not free, but they are lower cost than standard land line calls (typically). SIP to SIP calls are also typically free.

You can make SIP calls with your PC (with a microphone). This is the same as Skype (N.B. Skype is not a SIP service, it will not work on the phone with the SIP software).

In order for you to make SIP calls you need both SIP support in the phone (standardised in S60 3rd Edition I think) and a SIP client (Eseries only).
thanks for the reply rafe... i understand perfectly... :-)

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 AM

jaydisc is on a distinguished road
Based on your statements and other similar ones I've heard, it seems that the SIP client cannot do NAT traversal... Has anyone tried to see if it works when your phone has a PUBLIC ip address, and thus, is not behind a NAT firewall?

Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Skaber is on a distinguished road
How could you have a public address and be connected via wifi ?
Ads

Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 PM

bodstrup is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Disable NAT translation in your router - which limits you to ONE active device on the network at a time. Many home routers can not do this though.
regards, Michael

Old 14-02-2009, 02:27 PM

jafarin is on a distinguished road
SIP for homeusers too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
SIP functionality is not only for corporate usage. There is a lot ISP operators (at least in Finland) whom sell Voip services with SIP for end users.

I using Voip with my E61 at home via WLAN and outside home I use it as normal GSM-phone. I see that at future Voip is coming and fixed phonelines comes back to home. Not as before but thrue Internet access.