All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-07-2009, 04:57 PM

andreas81 is on a distinguished road
Another GPS question...

Still haven't bought a new phone and am eagerly awaiting the e52 which is alledgedly due the 6th of august here in Sweden. Meanwhile I have a question...

I was wondering if it's possible to use the gps offline, sortof like an atlas. I mean just to look up the area of a specific adress, for instance in the city I live in and where I can orientate myself. Is this at all possible with nokia maps, or any other gps program out there?

I've heard amaze is a really good and free gps program, anyone know if it can do this?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 24-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Fred* is on a distinguished road
I can speak for the E71:

Yes, you can use many of the features without going "online", that is without paying any data charges.

For example, when you open the program on your phone it will show you where you are. You can also search for an address and it will show it on the map. But if you want directions, you have to pay.
Also, as you walk or drive it shows your location on the map.

You can also get information on your speed, distance travelled, maximum speed reached, all without a data connection.

I was glad to have my E71 with me recently on a trip to London. It didn't show my location (do they block this in the UK?), but it showed me where I wanted to go so I used it like a map.

Old 25-07-2009, 09:46 PM

andreas81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred* View Post
I can speak for the E71:

Yes, you can use many of the features without going "online", that is without paying any data charges.

For example, when you open the program on your phone it will show you where you are. You can also search for an address and it will show it on the map. But if you want directions, you have to pay.
Also, as you walk or drive it shows your location on the map.

You can also get information on your speed, distance travelled, maximum speed reached, all without a data connection.

I was glad to have my E71 with me recently on a trip to London. It didn't show my location (do they block this in the UK?), but it showed me where I wanted to go so I used it like a map.
That's exactly what I was wondering mate, ty. Though... it sounds like u mean, still connecting to the satellites? Cus I was meaning, just like u said, using it *only* as a map, no connection whatsoever.

// Andreas

Old 27-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Fred* is on a distinguished road
Ah, now I see.

Yes, if I use my E71 indoors (concrete all around) then there's no satellite connection (the phone shows this) and I can use it as a map, including searching for addresses, etc.

Fred*
Ads