All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM

grimey01 is on a distinguished road
Sygic McGuider 2009

I've been putting McGuider through a few tests over the last month or so. I have used atleast 6 or 7 different navigation applications and McGuider is definetly the best. I was told this board has a direct link to the Sygic team so I'm hoping this will help. I have a few problems/suggestions/feedback that may or may not help you with furthur upgrades of this software.

1. Having an option to show names of parks, school area's, etc. on the map instead of as a POI image.
2. Writing the street name either above/below the street or on the street and showing it more often. The arrow pointing to the street gets confusing and most of the time it is difficult to know what street you're looking at.
3. Giving more detail in the maps, or having the option to increase/decrease detail would be very useful.
4. The u-turn problem which some users are facing. (Routing will either start with a u-turn or end with a u-turn)
5. There is a very small POI database for North America. I have to keep two GPS applications on my phone because of this.
6. Is it possible to have an option for satellite view? I'm not sure if you are selling maps with satellite view but it would be to play around with.
Ads

Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey01 View Post
I've been putting McGuider through a few tests over the last month or so. I have used atleast 6 or 7 different navigation applications and McGuider is definetly the best. I was told this board has a direct link to the Sygic team so I'm hoping this will help. I have a few problems/suggestions/feedback that may or may not help you with furthur upgrades of this software.

1. Having an option to show names of parks, school area's, etc. on the map instead of as a POI image.
2. Writing the street name either above/below the street or on the street and showing it more often. The arrow pointing to the street gets confusing and most of the time it is difficult to know what street you're looking at.
3. Giving more detail in the maps, or having the option to increase/decrease detail would be very useful.
4. The u-turn problem which some users are facing. (Routing will either start with a u-turn or end with a u-turn)
5. There is a very small POI database for North America. I have to keep two GPS applications on my phone because of this.
6. Is it possible to have an option for satellite view? I'm not sure if you are selling maps with satellite view but it would be to play around with.
Thank you for you suggestions. I will store them for later use .

Old 14-04-2009, 08:47 AM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
Sonym,

I have been playing with Mcguider too and I have one gripe. This is on a supported Sony-Ericsson P1i with a decent BT GPS unit. The P1i is kept fully updated. I can reproduce this problem with another GPS unit, so it's not the GPS unit but your software (I cross-checked this with another unit and TomTom).

The gripe is about McGuider often getting lost about what GPS it is talking to when there is a momentary loss of GPS signal, such as a short road-tunnel. Then it just waits forever claiming that there is no valid GPS signal. The way around is either to restart or to go into the the GPS setup and let it scan everything the phone has ever been paired with, which is slow, impossible when you are driving, and also annoying for my better half, who has to tell her phone (with no GPS) to ignore the connection request from McGuider. And no, I don't want to remove the pairing with my wife's phone every time I want to use McGuider.

So I am sorry to say that I had to go back to TomTom during my recent trip to Spain precisely because of this problem. TT does not suffer from this problem.

Luckily Spain has a decent coverage in TT Western Europe, but I would really rather prefer to be able to use McGuider when I go to Poland this Summer, rather than have to buy the TT Eastern Europe maps.

Best wishes,
TC

Old 21-04-2009, 12:24 PM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
A week later - Sooonym! Are you there?
TC

Old 21-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
I also have some tips for future versions:

Improvements:

- Navigate to home should be accessible more easily. Now 'Home' is positioned on the bottom right which requires 3 extra clicks to select. It would make more sense to put 'Home' on the top left corner so you can immediately navigate home without moving the cursor.

- Recent destinations should be ordered based on last use, instead of first use (last used on top). The current way makes some destinations disappear which I use often.

- Entry of Housenumber on Symbian does not activate numeric entry but stays in alphanumeric entry, so digits have to be entered by pressing the key multiple times, or holding it in. This slows down entry.

Additional functionality:

- Navigate to contacts

- Traffic info

Thanks!

Old 21-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCat View Post
A week later - Sooonym! Are you there?
TC
Yep, I am here.
I've passed your BT GPS problem to our testers. I Dont have answer yet.

Old 21-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerco View Post
I also have some tips for future versions:

Improvements:

- Navigate to home should be accessible more easily. Now 'Home' is positioned on the bottom right which requires 3 extra clicks to select. It would make more sense to put 'Home' on the top left corner so you can immediately navigate home without moving the cursor.

- Recent destinations should be ordered based on last use, instead of first use (last used on top). The current way makes some destinations disappear which I use often.

- Entry of Housenumber on Symbian does not activate numeric entry but stays in alphanumeric entry, so digits have to be entered by pressing the key multiple times, or holding it in. This slows down entry.

Additional functionality:

- Navigate to contacts

- Traffic info

Thanks!

Thank you, Your suggestions (Improvements)are really good, and we will implement them in next version.

You should be more specific about additional functionality.
We have traffic info for some devices. There are some BT tmc modules for mobile phones. We know about them. Who knows, maybe it will be in next McGuider.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Birdbrain is on a distinguished road
sonym hope you are still watching this

I have been trialing Sygic/MCguider (verison 7.71 I think) on a friends Nokia N95 phone as a potential replace to my tomtom.

I have one major problem (This is a problem with other nav programs I have tried)

If I have it connected via bluetooth to my cars bluetooth hands free then I can not hear any of the voice instrunctions or warnings.

Searching this on google it seems to be a common problem so if you could resolve it I think it would be a great selling point.

This could be by forcing the navigation audio to go via the internal speakers or not idealy force the bluetooth to disconect but not turn still allowing the car or phone to reconect if you want make/recieve a call.

I realise that this may all depend on the firmware on the phone as to doing this.

Please let me know your thoughts on this or if you know that this can already be done