All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2007, 01:04 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
N95 as Sipgate VoIP client

OK, I've had my N95 (through T-Mobile UK) for nearly three weeks now, and so far it's meeting or even exceeding my expectations for it - I'm even thinking of starting a videoblog

One of the uses I would like to put the N95 to, is as a 'client' for our account on the Sipgate VoIP service. Currently, we have a hardware VoIP telephone at home (a Grandstream BT101, for anyone interested in such things), which we use almost exclusively for outgoing overseas calls. I was thinking that when we go abroad, and if we can gain Internet access, it would be handy to be able to connect to Sipgate via the N95 (over a WLAN) and call the UK more cheaply than we would be able to otherwise.

I say I would like to do this, as I haven't managed to get Sipgate calls working yet, and wonder what (if anything) I've missed. As per Sipgate's own guidance on configuring a Nokia S60 device for Sipgate use (on their Web site - it's E61i-centric, but apparently it should work with the N95), I've configured Settings > Connection > SIP settings (and "Internet tel") as they suggest, but don't know what to do from there. Specifically, the 'SIP settings' now lists Sipgate as a service, but says it is "not registered", which I take to mean that the N95 hasn't connected and/or logged in successfully.

I've Googled and also searched this forum, but can't work out what (if anything) I'm doing wrong, or missing. Is there something like an Internet phone client or front-end which I haven't found yet, or will the N95 automatically place calls via Sipgate under certain conditions (e.g. if it detects a 'registered' WLAN access point)?

Alternatively, if the built-in SIP software isn't that good for Sipgate (or if T-Mobile has hobbled it in some way I'm unaware of), would anyone suggest an alternative N95 SIP/VoIP application which works well with Sipgate?

Many thanks, and I apologise if I'm missing the mind-numbingly obvious - I'm still somewhat new to the N95

Tim

Old 13-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
I have Sipgate working perfectly on my N95

Once you haved added your setting under Tools/Settings/Connection/Sip settings, go to Tools/Settings/Connection/Internet Tel (if you haven't already) and create a profile called Sipgate and select 'Sipgate' as your profile.

Exit all the way back to the menu and look for the Internet Tel. application (not the same as the one in settings), should be in Tools or Applications if you haven't moved it (I have so I can't say for certain)

Open the application and it will say 'Discovering Services' and then show the name of your WiFi point, click on the this and it will connect to Sipgate. (click again to disconnect)

TIP: If you set the Internet Tel app as one of your shortcuts on active standby screen it will connect automatically when you click it auto opening and exiting the application, click again to be prompted to disconnect

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 13-07-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Old 15-07-2007, 03:26 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exit all the way back to the menu and look for the Internet Tel. application (not the same as the one in settings), should be in Tools or Applications if you haven't moved it
Ah, that would be the problem... I hadn't realised they were two separate applications (duh). I thankfully hadn't moved the Internet Tel icon anywhere, and found it in Tools > Internet Tel, so I'm now most of the way there.

Unfortunately, I get the error "unable to connect to the connection network", so am Googling and checking my settings in the hope of solving it... except I've got to go out now, so I'll have to come back to it later.

Thanks for helping me find the missing link anyway

Old 15-08-2007, 09:44 AM

Mikeln is on a distinguished road
Try to use other SIP VoIP clients like Fring. It can use SIP and work on N95. Links to Fring and other VoIP clients here.

Old 18-08-2007, 04:26 PM

JayMann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Same here have a N95 on T mobile unlocked working on 3UK VOIP with Noodle all my setting's are the same as well. If i go to last dialled numbers and hit options, call and then internet call

I get "No WLAN coverage for a making an internet call. Make a regular voice call?" even that I'm sat next to the router

Any help thi is doing my nut in now PLEASE SOME ONE MUST KNOW!!

Old 18-08-2007, 04:56 PM

iani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMann View Post
Hi all,

Same here have a N95 on T mobile unlocked working on 3UK VOIP with Noodle all my setting's are the same as well. If i go to last dialled numbers and hit options, call and then internet call

I get "No WLAN coverage for a making an internet call. Make a regular voice call?" even that I'm sat next to the router

Any help thi is doing my nut in now PLEASE SOME ONE MUST KNOW!!
I struggled getting Sipgate to work on my N95, having read this thread I configured Fring to use Sipgate and it now works perfectly.

Ian
Ads

Old 19-08-2007, 01:52 PM

JayMann is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that Ian top man got it working now

Old 28-08-2007, 01:32 AM

fudgy31 is on a distinguished road
N95 & Sipgate

Hi

Try a package called FRING downloadable.

It will do sipgate for you as well as Skype and MSN Messenger oh and fring of course

Steve

Old 18-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Mikeln is on a distinguished road
Fring works with other services like Betamax (VoipCheap, VoipDiscount etc.).

Old 18-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
having been a great advocate for Fring with my N80, Im having serious problems with it and this N95 and WPA2 :@

Sipgate on the other hand works perfectly on both...

I just wanna use Fring cause its great..