All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 24-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Air is on a distinguished road
how does tomtom work on Nokia phones/yes, i know this is a first grade question for u

Hello kind people.

my name be Air.

could you please help me, as i am conceptually lost: what is tomtom? how do you transfer it from the cd onto your phone? and which nokia phones work with it? and is it better to buy a cheaper phone and get tomtom or to get the n95 with gps?

my basic idea is to get a nokia phone with the best possible GPS. please point me in the right direction.

i realize this is a) not interesting for you and b) very very simple.

i deal with ppl like myself all the time in relation to cars on this web site:

www fjcruiserforums dot com ( i dont have ten mighty posts so i cant link yet)

so be nice to me.

please.

i even posted about it on the car forum but no one knew the answer:

fjcruiserforums.com/forums/off-topic-discussion/34386-does-anyone-have-nokia-n95-holy-has-gps.html

thank you kind people

Old 25-08-2007, 06:56 AM

henklbr is on a distinguished road
http://www.tomtom.com/

and they can give you the correct answers !

By the way: are you BUYING software, without knowing what the software is doing etc.?

Don't think, this is a LEGAL version of TomTom!
Route 66 Mobile v8.0.16821 (16818), Western Europe Q3-08 (v2.211) / Eastern Europe Q3-08 (v1.210)

Old 25-08-2007, 08:28 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
Hello kind people.

my name be Air.

could you please help me, as i am conceptually lost: what is tomtom? how do you transfer it from the cd onto your phone? and which nokia phones work with it? and is it better to buy a cheaper phone and get tomtom or to get the n95 with gps?
1. Ensure you have a MicroSD memory card of at least 256Mb (for UK maps)
2. Attach the N95 to your PC using the supplied Nokia USB Cable
3. Select Mass Storage Mode on the N95
4. Run the setup.exe on the Original Tomtom 6 Mobile CD.
5. Buy an External Bluethooth GPS Receiver, as TomTom6 does not currently support the N95's internal GPS receiver.

Old 26-08-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
1. Ensure you have a MicroSD memory card of at least 256Mb (for UK maps)
2. Attach the N95 to your PC using the supplied Nokia USB Cable
3. Select Mass Storage Mode on the N95
4. Run the setup.exe on the Original Tomtom 6 Mobile CD.
5. Buy an External Bluethooth GPS Receiver, as TomTom6 does not currently support the N95's internal GPS receiver.

thank you very much.

1) what if i'm on a mac?

2) why is tomtom 6 better than what is in the n95 when it's out of the box? or is it?

Old 26-08-2007, 03:22 AM

i just ordered an n95.

do i do tomtom or keep it stock for best gps while driving?

Old 26-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
thank you very much.

1) what if i'm on a mac?

2) why is tomtom 6 better than what is in the n95 when it's out of the box? or is it?
1. I have no idea if the official TT6 CD has a MAC installer. (However i would be surprised if it didn't)

2. TT is widely accepted as one the best Sat Nav software for Symbian and has been around for years. Nokia Maps was first released in 2007 and therefore not so well developed or widely accepted. Some users claim Nokia Maps occasionaly calculates a VERY long & inneficient route for a journey, others complain that Nokia Maps needs a paid subscription before routing is possible.

3. In case you didn't already know, Nokia Maps supports the N95 Internal GPS Receiver, whereas TT6 needs an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

Old 26-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
3. In case you didn't already know, Nokia Maps supports the N95 Internal GPS Receiver, whereas TT6 needs an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

thank you very much, Mr. Borders :-)

could you please explain what an 'external bluetooth gps receiver' is? how it works, where one gets one, how its installed? i dont even concetptually understand this.

and will the gps connection be better with this than nokia maps out of the box when one is driving?

thank you. and if you have any questions about toyotas i would answer them in a heartbeat.

ok thank you

Old 26-08-2007, 06:14 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

could you please explain what an 'external bluetooth gps receiver' is? how it works, where one gets one, how its installed? i dont even concetptually understand this.

and will the gps connection be better with this than nokia maps out of the box when one is driving?

thank you. and if you have any questions about toyotas i would answer them in a heartbeat.

ok thank you
'external bluetooth gps receiver' is a stand alone unit (they vary in size but most modern ones are tiny!) that will receive signals from geostationary satelites in orbit around the earth. The device relays the data it receives to your phone via a Bluetooth link. The phone software (TomTom, Nokia Maps, Route 66 etc) then uses this data to triangulate (mathematically compute) your position on earth and represent it on the phone by graphically superimosing 'your position' on the mapping data (the maps) stored on the phone or updated via internet access.
You can buy Bluetooth GPS units on the internet (direct or on ebay). If you do a google you will get a ton of suppliers (look at the Holux brand, they are OK).
The software is installed the same as any other sofware (except Nokia Maps, as dez said, is pre-installed).
You are very likely to get a better (more accurate) and stronger signal with the external unit as the latest ones use more sensitive chip technology and 'see' more satelites, but, in my experience the advantage is only marginal.
I use Route 66 with the internal phone GPS and I don't have the need for more accuracy or speed (satelite lock in less than 30 secs and navigation accuracy OK)

Old 26-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
'external bluetooth gps receiver' is a stand alone unit (they vary in size but most modern ones are tiny!) that will receive signals from geostationary satelites in orbit around the earth. The device relays the data it receives to your phone via a Bluetooth link. The phone software (TomTom, Nokia Maps, Route 66 etc) then uses this data to triangulate (mathematically compute) your position on earth and represent it on the phone by graphically superimosing 'your position' on the mapping data (the maps) stored on the phone or updated via internet access.
You can buy Bluetooth GPS units on the internet (direct or on ebay). If you do a google you will get a ton of suppliers (look at the Holux brand, they are OK).
The software is installed the same as any other sofware (except Nokia Maps, as dez said, is pre-installed).
You are very likely to get a better (more accurate) and stronger signal with the external unit as the latest ones use more sensitive chip technology and 'see' more satelites, but, in my experience the advantage is only marginal.
I use Route 66 with the internal phone GPS and I don't have the need for more accuracy or speed (satelite lock in less than 30 secs and navigation accuracy OK)

God Bless you people for your patience and welcoming attitude.

ok, i understand. thank you.

can you please tell me what "route 66" is? i know its the abandoned hwy from chicago to goodness knows where but what is the sofware/hardware for the n95 (i'm assuming) "route 66"?

i'm really not kidding. i really am not being sarcastic or trying to waste your time. i truly haven't a clue about this stuff and very much appreciate all your patience and explanations.

thank you

Old 26-08-2007, 07:13 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
God Bless you people for your patience and welcoming attitude.

ok, i understand. thank you.

can you please tell me what "route 66" is? i know its the abandoned hwy from chicago to goodness knows where but what is the sofware/hardware for the n95 (i'm assuming) "route 66"?

i'm really not kidding. i really am not being sarcastic or trying to waste your time. i truly haven't a clue about this stuff and very much appreciate all your patience and explanations.

thank you
Yes, it's a sat nav package, but, for your purposes leave it alone!
For now! (too difficult to implement for a newbie!) No disrespect!

Old 26-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
Yes, it's a sat nav package, but, for your purposes leave it alone!
For now! (too difficult to implement for a newbie!) No disrespect!

ouch.

ok, i'll post up again when i get the n95 and sees how da things works. thanks

Old 26-08-2007, 09:39 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Nokia Maps or TomTom?

Hi Air

Have a look at www.pocketgpsworld.com for general information about mobile navigation and TomTom. This is a UK-based site that focuses mostly on navigation solutions for PDAs (i.e. Windows Mobile and Palm machines), but there is some useful general information there too. You'll find information on lots of different software packages there too (Route 66 is one). Many of them will only run on Windows Mobile or Palm devices though, and will NOT work on any Symbian platform, much less S60 3rd Edition.

There are some FAQs at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=FAQ. You can also see reviews of various different Bluetooth GPS receivers on their site at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=5

TomTom is MUCH more intuitive to use than Nokia Maps (aka Smart2Go), but, as been mentioned by others, won't work with the internal GPS receiver. However, modern Bluetooth receivers are about the size of a box of matches, or there are some Bluetooth hands-free kits available which incorporate a GPS receiver too.

Of course, the basic Nokia Maps software is free, and you can buy a 7-day or 30-day navigation licence very cheaply to see if you like it. (Get the 30-day - it's only 20% more expensive and gives you more time to get used to it.) If you decide you like it, a 3-year navigation licence is only just over half the price of a copy of TomTom Navigator software only. For TomTom, you will have to add the cost of the GPS receiver to that.

There are two ways to buy TomTom Navigator. You can just buy the software, and buy the GPS receiver separately, or you can buy a bundle including the software and TomTom's own Bluetooth receiver together. (See http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2&Lid=1 for details of the various ways to buy it.) You do not have to use a TomTom GPS receiver - any Bluetooth one should work.

If you buy the TomTom software on a card, you will get a 512Mb miniSD card, and will have to transfer the files onto a microSD card before you put it into your N95. I would get the biggest microSD card you can (i.e. 4Gb for N95/E90 or 2Gb for other phones) so that you still have room for other files too. I installed TomTom on my E90, and had to temporarily clear some music files and photos off my 1Gb microSD to make room for it. I have a Windows PC and didn't buy the software on CD, so can't comment on installation from CD on a Mac.

Start with Nokia maps and see what you think. If you need something more intuitive, and arguably with better routing (I haven't compared them side-by-side), then TomTom's probably the way to go.

Julie

Old 27-08-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
Hi Air

Have a look at www.pocketgpsworld.com for general information about mobile navigation and TomTom. This is a UK-based site that focuses mostly on navigation solutions for PDAs (i.e. Windows Mobile and Palm machines), but there is some useful general information there too. You'll find information on lots of different software packages there too (Route 66 is one). Many of them will only run on Windows Mobile or Palm devices though, and will NOT work on any Symbian platform, much less S60 3rd Edition.

There are some FAQs at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=FAQ. You can also see reviews of various different Bluetooth GPS receivers on their site at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=5

TomTom is MUCH more intuitive to use than Nokia Maps (aka Smart2Go), but, as been mentioned by others, won't work with the internal GPS receiver. However, modern Bluetooth receivers are about the size of a box of matches, or there are some Bluetooth hands-free kits available which incorporate a GPS receiver too.

Of course, the basic Nokia Maps software is free, and you can buy a 7-day or 30-day navigation licence very cheaply to see if you like it. (Get the 30-day - it's only 20% more expensive and gives you more time to get used to it.) If you decide you like it, a 3-year navigation licence is only just over half the price of a copy of TomTom Navigator software only. For TomTom, you will have to add the cost of the GPS receiver to that.

There are two ways to buy TomTom Navigator. You can just buy the software, and buy the GPS receiver separately, or you can buy a bundle including the software and TomTom's own Bluetooth receiver together. (See http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2&Lid=1 for details of the various ways to buy it.) You do not have to use a TomTom GPS receiver - any Bluetooth one should work.

If you buy the TomTom software on a card, you will get a 512Mb miniSD card, and will have to transfer the files onto a microSD card before you put it into your N95. I would get the biggest microSD card you can (i.e. 4Gb for N95/E90 or 2Gb for other phones) so that you still have room for other files too. I installed TomTom on my E90, and had to temporarily clear some music files and photos off my 1Gb microSD to make room for it. I have a Windows PC and didn't buy the software on CD, so can't comment on installation from CD on a Mac.

Start with Nokia maps and see what you think. If you need something more intuitive, and arguably with better routing (I haven't compared them side-by-side), then TomTom's probably the way to go.

Julie
whomever you marry is a lucky man. thank you

Old 28-08-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:

ok thank you

You can buy an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver from many places, including eBay. A decent one will be about 40. It is the size of a matchbox and all you do is switch it on and put it somewhere in your car where it can get a clear view of the sky.

Then you launch tomtom and tell it via TT settings to use the external receiver.
You may need to enter the pairing code, which is usually 0000

Old 30-08-2007, 05:27 PM

OH MY GOODNESS THIS N95 THING IS AMAZING!!! It literally showed me around the town i've been living in for years today!!!!! in the words of BORAT, "WOWOWIEWA"

i dont know half the things i'm doing with it but MAN OH MAN!!!

and for some reason whenever i turn on GPS it asks me if i want to turn on bluetooth. i set that up by accident and don tknow what its for or how to undo it.

Dear Mr. Nokia,

You are a GENIUS! it's so small and ... i just honestly can't believe technology. really amazing stuff!