All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 AM

BHLC is on a distinguished road
PC Suite Annoyance...

I updated to a newer version of PC suite the other day, and since then, although it connects perfectly to my phone, everytime I connect the phone up, either through the pop-port connector (hateful hateful thing) or Bluetooth, I get an annoying windows bubble pop up in the task bar saying "New Hardware Connected - Nokia N80p" (or N80e or ap) then going on about a Nokia windows portable device driver) which it then fails to install resulting in a "this device cannot start, code 10 error). It's not exactly life or death, and as I said, pc suite works fine connecting to the phone, it's just a minor annoyance that I would dearly love to get rid of.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
BHLC

Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 AM

SpeTz is on a distinguished road
I think the microsoft bubble is a standard because it shows usb device has connected so i dont think you can remove it. What do you mean it doesnt install(do you mean when you hit get connected in pc suite it doesnt find the phone?)
Ads

Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 AM

Halon is on a distinguished road
You could always turn the annoying bubbles off using PowerToys, which is available free on the Microsoft website.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:57 AM

SpeTz is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^ thanks for the tip

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeTz View Post
I think the microsoft bubble is a standard because it shows usb device has connected so i dont think you can remove it. What do you mean it doesnt install(do you mean when you hit get connected in pc suite it doesnt find the phone?)
Oh no, it connects to the phone, but also trys to install a Nokia Windows portable device driver - which always fails. Like I said, it's working okay, just slightly annoying.

And thanks for the other tip regarding turning off the bubble, but I find them quite useful for other things, such as informing me when torrents have finished etc.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 AM

Halon is on a distinguished road
I think the portable device driver is the one which allows the phone to act as a mass storage device.

I seem to remember having some issue with this myself. It happening now for you because the latest version of the PC Suite has the new Nokia Connectivity Solution driver package included.

I can't remember exactly how I fixed the problem as I think I may have been drunk and stabbing randomly at the keyboard at the time but it may have had something to do with connecting the phone in data transfer mode rather than PC Suite mode. Like, it can't start the device in the second mode because it's already connected in PC Suite mode. Or something.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 AM

hmmm, tried that - works fine in data transfer mode, but as soon as I go back into PC Suite mode, I get that New Hardware wizard again...oh well, I can live with it.

Thanks for your help though!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:15 AM

juice21 is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem but mine went a step further, in that I couldn't conect after upgrading to the new version.

Apparently there is somthing buggy with the updated new version of PC Suite and the old version.

To fix it you have to Uninstal PC Suite.
Uninstall Nokia USB Drivers
Then download and run "Nokia PC Suite Cleaner" from their website
Download and reinstall the latest Version of PC Suite.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Cheers Juice....

I'll get round to that at some point, thanks for the advice.

Old 13-03-2007, 04:31 PM

malcweir is on a distinguished road
This is what worked for me...

This was posted by Miksu on the Nokia discussions:
(discussions.europe.nokia.com), under /discussions/board/message?board.id=connectivity&message.id=6267

"If that did not help, could you check this:
1. Click Start > Run > give command RegEdit.exe > OK
2. Open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot\
3. Select WPD > Edit > Permission
-> could you list what permission you have in there ?

(I have everyone with Read permission and SYSTEM with full Control & Read permission) "

Well, I had no entry for Everyone. So I added one, with only read permission.

And now the infamous Nokia Windows Portable Device driver does, in fact, start.

Malc.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM

ozerdavid is on a distinguished road
I had this problem on updating PC Suite. The only solution which worked for me (and it did work) was to completely uninstall PC Suite - plus the two other Nokia connectivity programs (Cable Connector and Connectivity Solution), then download the latest PC Suite Cleaner (now version 3.6), use that, reboot and reinstall the latest PC Suite. Under Device Manager the the Nokia Windows Portable Device Driver is still disabled, and if enabled still reports yellow exclamation mark - not working properly. Attempting to update this doesn't work - though it tries. But this seems to have no adverse effect on the workings of the phone/PC connection through PC Suite, or directly to the computer via Bluetooth. And there are no annoying popups in the system tray. Still, it would be nice if Nokia could supply a properly working copy of Nokia Windows Portable Device Driver. Does anyone know where to get an updated one that reports itself as working under Windows XP in Device Manager?

Edit - and actually stays working! ('cos I have had it working in the past... on and off)

Actually found the solution on the Nokia forums. I uninstalled the offending driver under Device Manager and then did Start, Run, entered: "C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\DPInst.exe" - (with the quotation marks) - hit OK. The Nokia drivers (including the offending one) are installed. I then restarted my computer, just to be sure... And 'hey presto' all OK (so far...)

Last edited by ozerdavid; 11-05-2007 at 12:40 PM.